On The Beat - Episode 348 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 29th, 2016

BigBear

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey gang,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a nice weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 29th-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week’s revelation… I have to start doing less complicated lessons… maybe. The California Girls
lesson seemed to take on a life of its own and I started thinking I would never be satisfied with it.
What to put in, what to leave out? I finally had to wrap it up without the solo version that was
looming. Maybe continuing with it soon if there is some interest.

The other new lesson this week was from Vanessa, doing I Don’t Believe You by Pink. I’m glad we get
back to level 2 songs every once in a while and I have to put that memo in my stack of notes
somewhere. It’s always cool to bring in a song from somebody we don’t have already have in the library.

Some things I addressed in this week’s update included a question that came up on the Light My Fire
lesson page about soloing over the unrelated chords in the verse to the song, and a few thoughts on
colourful chords.

This led to messing around with a Chet Atkins arrangement that a student was working on earlier this
week, a trip way back into the 80s when I was inspired by Erik Satie to try some unusual harmonies
and phrases, and into a jazzier number I wrote about 15 years ago.

All in all, it was a bit disjointed and hard to follow, but I imagine most of the TG Community is used to
that by now.

Back next week,

Neil

…maybe

wrsomers

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:16 pm

"Under Paris Skies" by Hubert Giraud?

TGNeil

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:34 pm

wrsomers wrote:
"Under Paris Skies" by Hubert Giraud?
Close, but no.

unclewalt

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:48 pm

unclewalt

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:56 pm

michelew

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:52 pm

Neil thanks for the discussion about colourful chords. That was really interesting. I love all of the 7th chords they always sounds great. I like the diminished chords too, which turn up in a fair few of the ukulele songs I've learned - one that has both which I enjoy playing is Dream a Little Dream of Me; very cool. And the shock value of augmented - that's a good way for me to remember when they will work in particular.

When I wrote out the triads from the Jewish scale starting on G, (which I hopefully worked out properly), I was surprised to see two diminished chords and an augmented chord. It made me wonder whether songs derived from that scale naturally have more diminished and augmented chords in them. But, when I looked at Hava Nagila, it only had a 7th. ... That's only one song of course, so not very indicative I guess.

Thanks again Neil and I'm looking forward to more discussion if you get to it about different types of colourful chords and their roles; how to use them for good or greatest effect.

I hope you get a reprieve from the heat. Drink lots of water of course.

Later.

Michele

wrsomers

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:58 am

Thanks Niel for presenting that great song. Here's a cover of it done by Daniela Andrade. Admitedly her guitar accompaniment is fairly simple but she has the voice of an angel. Enjoy

Bill

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Neil

Another great week and weekly news.

Your head must be buzzing putting these lessons together.
Californian Girls solo would certainly polish the lesson off.
When you have a fresh head on your shoulders.

We watched the 2007 movie about Edith Paiff's life - La Vie En Rose
I'm not sure how accurate it was but it reflected a strong mix of emotion throughout.
The video responses in this forum are cool too.

Whodunit is a great lesson, but more so an brilliant tune.
I love it and need to get back to it.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic