On The Beat - Episode 349 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 5th, 2016

adamrtrahan

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a very nice weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... -5th-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

A mostly quiet and slow week here at TG but I just heard from our friend Dave Nachmanoff that
he has a CD release party scheduled next Sunday, August 14 at The Freight And Salvage in
Berkeley. Anybody within shouting distance should try to get there if possible. I am about 70%
that I can make it right now. The full press release follows.

Lately I have tried to get some practice time in to brush up some pieces that once were in better
shape. Today’s update included a few in various states of disrepair, along with a little
encouragement to occasionally try to get some songs to a performable level. This is something
many folks work on toward IGC and I am trying to take some of my own advice.

There was quick mention of some recent lessons, Perfect by Pink, a FOTW going deeper into
Intervals with Ed, and a new 6-pack of Decemberists songs for our artist pack fans.

I also had some comments on our very old Recommend A Lesson section. I was going through it
earlier today and was surprised how many songs on the list have become lessons. Try to guess
before you get to that part in the update. I do still continue to monitor it so don’t be afraid to
add things there.

Other than that, August may continue in the same direction but I have a few surprise lessons in
the pipeline and I expect 1 or 2 will be ready soon.

On to next week, although one last summer trip may alter that plan a little.

Neil

Berkeley, CA
, -- Not many musicians get to realize their early dreams, but in recording “Spinoza’s Dream,”
singer/songwriter Dave Nachmanoff has fulfilled several at once. A huge fan of Al Stewart as a teen,
Nachmanoff has assembled most of the musicians who played on some of Stewart’s iconic albums in the
70s to back him up here. A former philosophy instructor, he has created a “concept album” with each track
connected to a particular philosopher. The album was recorded in Wales by Grammy award winning producer
and engineer Martin Levan last summer. With a few excellent special guests, this will be a largely solo acoustic
show, featuring Dave on both guitar and piano.

Spinoza’s Dream Video:

“Singer-songwriter albums with philosophical themes set alarm bells off in my head, so I confess I approached
this one with a bit of trepidation. But Nachmanoff approaches those themes with humor and subtlety, generally
opting for communication rather than for showing off how smart he is. He also has an impressive stylistic range,
jumping from quietly sprightly folk-pop to Tin Pan Alley jazziness to bluesy rock and back again in the space of
the first four tracks. And here’s a fun pop history nugget: the session players on this album are the same guys
who played on Al Stewart’s 1976 hit “Year of the Cat.”.”– CD Hotlist

"It isn’t often a concept album based around the theme of classic philosophers comes along. However, that’s
the case with this new release from Al Stewart’s guitarist, Dave Nachmanoff, Spinoza’s Dream. Nachmanoff has
a Ph.D in philosophy and here he has melded his two worlds and passions to create this interesting song cycle...
an interesting and different gathering of songs. Sophisticated but never pretentious or ponderous. A very fine
(or actually refined) effort" – ROB ROSS, Popdose.com

Address: 2020 Addison Street, Berkeley CA 94704
Date: Sunday, August 14, 2016
Showtime: 1:00 p.m.
Tickets: $20 in advance, $22 at the door
Tix Link: https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/even ... medium=bks
Artist website: http://davenach.com

TGNesh

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Oh yes, I check the recommend a lesson-list at léast once a week, so P!nk was definitely not a coindence. Doing some Coldplay wasn't coincidentally as well. And I have a few others in the pipeline.

Funny you mention getting songs 'performance-ready'. Since I almost always do a play through for a lesson, I of course need to get them to that level, which is probably also why it takes most of the work :blink: (it's of course not just the guitar, but also vocals/lyrics). A major advantage, besides students benefitting from it, is that when I indeed need to perform it, like for example at IGC or wherever, I'll likely be good to go. :)

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:44 am

Neil and Vanessa

Thanks again for another interesting week.
I reviewed Neil's performance observation lesson, interesting.
Although I get a lot from what I learn, Performance Ready is a boundary I have to cross yet.

Vanessa Wrote:
Funny you mention getting songs 'performance-ready'. Since I almost always do a play through for a lesson, I of course need to get them to that level, which is probably also why it takes most of the work (it's of course not just the guitar, but also vocals/lyrics). A major advantage, besides students benefitting from it, is that when I indeed need to perform it, like for example at IGC or wherever, I'll likely be good to go.
Vanessa, Neils lesson on Performance Ready is cool.
Guitar, vocals lyrics.
It would be great if you might consider sharing some thoughts on crossing that Performance line.

Dermot

TGNesh

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 am

Hey Dermot, where would that lesson be? I guess I've missed it.

I of course couldn't find it through the search-function. :S

thereshopeyet wrote:
Neil and Vanessa

Thanks again for another interesting week.
I reviewed Neil's performance observation lesson, interesting.
Although I get a lot from what I learn, Performance Ready is a boundary I have to cross yet.

Vanessa Wrote:
Funny you mention getting songs 'performance-ready'. Since I almost always do a play through for a lesson, I of course need to get them to that level, which is probably also why it takes most of the work (it's of course not just the guitar, but also vocals/lyrics). A major advantage, besides students benefitting from it, is that when I indeed need to perform it, like for example at IGC or wherever, I'll likely be good to go.
Vanessa, Neils lesson on Performance Ready is cool.
Guitar, vocals lyrics.
It would be great if you might consider sharing some thoughts on crossing that Performance line.

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Vanessa Wrote:
Hey Dermot, where would that lesson be? I guess I've missed it.
Ah Vanessa :dry: You'll need to share a video of your own before I can find it again :P

If I tell you, it might distract from your own observations and what works for you.

Then again ..... within the text below, is the answer to your question ;)

Dermot :whistle:

:laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic