MarkM Open G Noodle

Craig

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:34 pm

You long time members might remember MarkM's Open G Noodle. Neil made a lesson on it. I believe some members made a song out of it. I seem to remember Michele and Daryl were in on it but I'm not 100% sure of that since it was 2013!... yikes! time flies!

At any rate, I started playing once a week in the garage of my friend, Joe. He's better than me, but he's patient, and we have the same musical taste so it works out great. We also enjoy a beer or two which makes it fun too! One day, I was in open G tuning and started to play MarkM's tune and Joe perked up and asked what's that? I explained where it came from and he said, "let's do something with that." So, it became a project. We worked on it, off and on, for a couple months until we came up with something that we liked. Joe had his nephew, who is a pretty good musician, add a bass line to it. His son played the "cajon". We made a little "cello" at the beginning on a keyboard and recorded it on "garage band". I'm playing the acoustic and Joe is playing electric.

Sorry there is no video, only audio.

It's an mp3 file so I don't even know if that will upload ... but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for listening.

Craig

Craig

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Looks like nothing attached, I'll go to plan "B".

michelew

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Craig,

This sounds like a great project. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you've come up with. Mark's beautiful piece was so full of possibilities.

One way you can get the audio up is to insert it into a really simple video in iMovie. All you need to do is:
- open an iMovie project
- select a single image (like you Joe and his son) and insert it into the video project
- then extent the time that the image is showing from the standard 4 seconds, to the entire duration of your piece of music.
- then you simply add the audio track against the image.
- if you want to you can add text at the front and other images, etc - but you don't need to.
- publish it and you're off and running.

If you have a simple video you can then upload it to YouTube and then post the link in here in the normal way.

Good luck.

Shel

Craig

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks Shel!

I appreciate the help.

I just sent you a PM :)

Craig

daryl

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Craig, You could upload the mp3 file to your SoundCloud account (you do have one don't you?). Then you can simply add the link here in your thread.

Craig

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:18 pm

does this work?

daryl

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Yes! Nice. Did you and your buddy play "live"? Was the bass and cajon "live" too? How did you go about mixing it? Nice touch with the cello BTW.

Craig

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks Daryl! I liked the cello too. It seemed like a nice contrast to the other section that is a little bit "dark". I layed down my track first, then the others all played off of that. My friend Joe's nephew is into computers and mixing so he did all of the work and I didn't pay much attention to that part of it. I know you are really good at that stuff so sorry, not much help in that regard.

Craig

michelew

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Gosh Craig! That's really moving. I've listen to it a few times now and it's really engaging.

- Your acoustic guitar is true to Mark's original piece.
- The cello is really stirring - it's a nice undercurrent
- The electric guitar leads really catch your ear and I like the way the main melody keeps reappearing
- the Dark B section is an unexpected twist - the e-guitar is a little discordant (or something) against the acoustic track in places - it gives it an almost sinister sound - really interesting and stirring
- I like the way the return to the A section and chorus lifts the mood again - returns hope to the equation.
- the cajon adds some nice percussive sounds - I like the bell/tambourine-ish sounds in particular - it adds a nice sparkle - a new texture
- the bass is a little hard to hear with my ear buds - but I can hear it adding to the foundation
- the other acoustic (?) guitar track adds some nice simple variation.

There's lots of work in here. It's so interesting to hear how different this sounds to Mark's original track. And the bottom line is that you can't listen to this without feel emotional - well I can't anyway; shock horror! :woohoo:

Great project. Great outcome. Something to be proud of.

Shel

Craig

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Thanks Shel!

I appreciate your advice and support on this, as well as your support through all of the years we've been at TG!! We actually talked about the things you mentioned when we were putting this together, so that makes me feel really good!

Thanks again,
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic