On The Beat - Episode 359 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 21st, 2016

TGKatherine

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a great weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 21st-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Like I mentioned last week, I had hoped to spend more time playing guitar. The plan was somewhat successful and today’s update
included a few pieces that were in danger of falling off the radar. I hope you enjoy them in their various states of repair.

Mixed in there someplace was a review of modes (thanks to a great question on the Forum), which included a couple improvised
progressions to try and clear or muddy the issue, comments on some great work on originals from a couple long time contributors,
a mention of Santa Cruz Guitar Company reaching the 40 year old milestone, a Graham Nash story or two, and no real answer to
last week’s brain teaser, for no logical reason.

The new stuff this week included two lessons from Vanessa, Bonnie Raitt’s I Can’t Make You Love Me and Right Here Waiting by
Richard Marx, another installment in John Renbourn’s Bicycle Tune, and a continuing look at Sandy working on playing a solo in Just
A Song Before I Go
. …and an ending with a few bluegrass licks, for no apparent reason either.

Next week, some Halloween specials (maybe!).

Neil

unclewalt

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:30 pm

tgjameela

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Yes, Student Reviews Uploader is officially fixed and working, let the reviews commence!

dtaylor

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:44 pm

That's some of the most pyrotechnical playing we've seen from you in a while; also, it's nice to see that even you are fallible once in a while ;)

TGNeil

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:11 pm

unclewalt wrote:
Neil, I wonder what the purpose is of you often not naming the songs you're playing in these videos. It is, frankly, immensely frustrating, especially when it's something I would like to follow up on to learn, or even just listen to. I know you sometimes make it a "contest," where we are meant to guess in the forum here. But even then, if nobody guesses, or nobody guesses right, we never learn the answer. (And in fact I did make a guess a few weeks ago, but I got no response, and never learned whether I was right). But most of the time, it's not a contest at all, so I guess I'm left puzzled by why you don't just give us the info, especially for tunes you spend several minutes playing and even talking about while doing so. Knowing what the songs are would be very helpful!
You are absolutely right, I guess I was just hoping that somebody who recognized them would check in, like what happened a few weeks ago with Bicycle Tune. This week I think I played a little of Blues Land by Jerry Reeves, an arrangement I started months ago of the theme to Agatha Christie's Poirot, and the longer one was John Renbourn's Faro's Rag.

Not sure which guess you are referring to but let me know which week it was and I will let you know.

The opening tune from this week is more the type of think I think someone should be able to spot. If not, I will let you know next week.

Neil

P.S. If I remember what it was...

unclewalt

Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:20 pm

thereshopeyet

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Neil

Thanks for another great week.
Vanessa too :dry:

I thought I recognised the tunes on the news this week ... but ... nope.... when I looked them up I was wrong wrong wrong ! :(

Last Weeks Puzzle
I did think about it but didn't get it correct.... so cheated and looked up the internet !
Hence no response from me !!

Puzzle With Answer
Click Here
:blush:

Modes
Neil, you answered a very similar question from Jason 7 months ago.
It was a great response too.
Link
Figuring Out The Mode of A Song

Dermot

auntlynnie

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:46 am

I, too, thought about the puzzle - difficult for me, and it was a busy week, so I forgot about it.

The Poirot Theme looks like it would be a 7 or 8 - quite difficult. If you think it would be a six I might attempt it.

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic