On The Beat - Episode 360 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 28th, 2016

TGKatherine

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a good weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 28th-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

My only pre-News plan today was to get through it quickly so I could start listening to a CD that arrived yesterday, a reissue of
one of the most influential albums in my musical life.

So I started playing the opening tune, got a little carried away and sang a verse or two, and proceeded to toss out samples of
many of the tracks, all of which I played at one time or another.

It sent me off in a direction of having a bit too much fun for trying to pass on any useful information but I hope you enjoy the
ride with me.

I do believe I mentioned our new lessons, These Dreams by Heart, Along Comes Mary by The Association, a continuation with
Section C of John Renbourn’s Bicycle Tune, and a FOTW with Ed starting the verse to Gaslight Rag. And, I really enjoyed Buddy’s
rendition
of Day Is Gone.

Other than that, I hope everybody is having as much fun playing the guitar as I have had the last couple weeks (as I hoped to)
and has a safe and sane Halloween Weekend!

Neil

unclewalt

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:04 pm

thereshopeyet

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:56 pm

Neil

Great weekly news.
Fantastic playing too !

You asked about Bicycle Tune progress.
I'm working on Part A still. Getting the correct sustain is tricky for me.
Also, looking at the notation, I can't figure out the 7 note phrase that's repeated 3 and a half times, :blush:
that you mention in the lesson.

Sounds like you have some Hot Tuna lessons up your sleeve. :ohmy:

Dermot

:)

Rbinding

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 pm

Neil,

That Hot Tuna album is one of my all time favorites. I listened for years (decades actually) thinking I could never even begin to play any of the songs. True for John Renbourn as well. It's a testimony to the success of your lessons and guitar camp that I have started learning some of these songs and can actually sort of play a few. I would love to see lessons on any or all of those songs and love hearing you play parts of them in "On The Beat."

Thanks for making these songs accessible for us to sort out and enjoy playing!

Ron

TGNeil

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:23 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Neil

Great weekly news.
Fantastic playing too !

...I can't figure out the 7 note phrase that's repeated 3 and a half times that you mention in the lesson.

Sounds like you have some Hot Tuna lessons up your sleeve. :ohmy:

Dermot

:)
Hi Dermot,

Not 7 notes but 7 beats. Take another look. And it's really just 3 times with a little tag.

Neil

TGNeil

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:25 am

Rbinding wrote:
Neil,

That Hot Tuna album is one of my all time favorites. I listened for years (decades actually) thinking I could never even begin to play any of the songs. True for John Renbourn as well. It's a testimony to the success of your lessons and guitar camp that I have started learning some of these songs and can actually sort of play a few. I would love to see lessons on any or all of those songs and love hearing you play parts of them in "On The Beat."

Thanks for making these songs accessible for us to sort out and enjoy playing!

Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for the nice comments and I am reviewing and reliving those great tunes as we speak (or write, or hang out at TG).

Neil

davidrfinn99165

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:53 pm

nb dermot... i'd suggest parking section A of Bicycle Tune, move on to the other sections, and then go back to it. Not sure what Neil will say, but in my view the other sections are far more fun to play..and in my humble opinion they sound better too, they have a more lyrical sound and they get that rolling thing going.
/ david

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Neil Wrote:
Not 7 notes but 7 beats. Take another look. And it's really just 3 times with a little tag.
Sorry about that, I listened to the video again and you did say 7 beat, I had it in my head you'd said note :blush:

Dermot

David Wrote:
nb dermot... i'd suggest parking section A of Bicycle Tune, move on to the other sections, and then go back to it. Not sure what Neil will say, but in my view the other sections are far more fun to play..and in my humble opinion they sound better too, they have a more lyrical sound and they get that rolling thing going.
/ david
David, thanks. I'll take a look.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic