On The Beat - Episode 363 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up November 18th, 2016

TGKatherine

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:27 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a great weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 18th-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week we rolled out a few new things, including a beginning vocal course on DVD by our voicemaster Jim Bruno, and a 7-pack
of Eva Cassidy songs
. I also finally got around to finishing the lesson on Bicycle Tune, including an Acoustic Snapshot of how it might
sound in a complete Play Through. We also had a look at Sandy revisiting I Can't Tell You Why, working on some of the background
vocals and a more complete solo version. Vanessa brought us Graham Nash's Right Between The Eyes.

A few other things that popped up included thoughts on Whodunit, the book called Clapton's Guitar, and the usual musical noodlings
starting with a little Leon Russell tune and a bit of an Elvis tune that materialized out of nowhere.

Off for Thanksgiving next week but back in December if anything goes according to plan.

Neil

auntlynnie

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:02 am

Neil,
Thanks for playing that beautiful instrumental of This Masquerade. One of so many great songs by Leon.

crieniecat

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 am

Elvis? Did I hear you do one of the songs Elvis sang?!
You just lightened up my dark, sinister, cloudy and rainy Sunday afternoon.... ThnX

Oh and Masquerade.... I fully agree with Lynn, that was just beautiful, as always when you play it... It almost made me feel like singing, almost, for a second there I waited for the point where I could "jump in" and just add some vocals...

cosmicmechanic

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:26 am

Hi Neil,

About the book "Eric Clapton's Guitar" you mention at about 10m25s into this video ...

I do understand your opinion that although Wayne Henderson is a fine musician and guitar builder,
the author's admiration for him can sometimes seem a bit overstated.

Anyway, it's always good practice to have a critical eye when reading books about masterful luthiers and other cult gurus ;)

I'm happy that I have met Wayne, and I think that he does not have a pretentious bone in his body.
He is a humble, lovable guy and behind his modest demeanor is a strong work ethic.

The book is informative about very general considerations all along the stages of the guitar building process,
but it turns out to be Wayne's personality that drives the story along, with the twists and turns of his lifestyle.

Maybe "Eric Clapton's Guitar" is just an excuse to make aquaintance with a "good ol' boy",
while knowing there is actually a REAL wizard behind the curtain ?

So you didn't read it to the end ... give the book another try, eh ?

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic