On The Beat - Episode 366 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up December 16th, 2016

TGKatherine

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Happy Holidays!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 16th-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

As we head into the Holidays I want to wish the whole TG family health and happiness, as well as thanks from everybody
here and behind the scenes for being part of the family. Today’s recap started with the usual, offbeat and random improv
based on some recognizable melodies, and there were a few others scattered throughout the segment.

We did manage to get a few new things out this week, including a do-it-yourself approach to Coventry Carol, Max’s look at
Eric Clapton’s Lay Down Sally, and a package of James Blunt lessons.

I also talked a bit about what some of my students are working on and how that inspired the approach to Coventry Carol,
which I hope some of you take the time to tackle. It will make figuring out the progressions to many songs much easier.

Maybe more next week, but no telling for sure just yet.

Happy Holidays,

Neil

sbutler

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:47 am

And all of the Best to you and Hogan clan, during this Holiday season. The gift that you share with us, is unmatched. There is not enough Thank You's that can ever cover it all.

Have a great Christmas with your family Neil.

Scott

mrp777

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:55 pm

So, what is the name of the "blues land" piece starting at 11:20...? Sounds so familiar but the name is escaping me.

Thanks for everything you do on this website, Neil! Happy Holidays as well.

Michael

unclewalt

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:29 pm

mrp777 wrote:
So, what is the name of the "blues land" piece starting at 11:20...? Sounds so familiar but the name is escaping me.

Thanks for everything you do on this website, Neil! Happy Holidays as well.

Michael
It's "Blues Land!"

mrp777

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks "uncle walt"... you really know how to hurt a guy! ;-)
Reminds me of another tough question I failed when I was a kid: Who's buried in Grant's Tomb???

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:23 am

Merry Christmas folks!

Oh Tannenbaum is a song from the 1600s which meant to praise the loyalty and fidelity of the evergreen needles of the fur tree in contrast to the fickle and flighty love of a young girl... so, an early country style song on how you don't love me no more! :-) The original text (below) actually said, "wie treu sind deine Blätter" (how faithful are your leaves, er, pine needles, actually) but today's text says, "wie grün sind deine Blätter", (how green are your leaves).

in the mid to late 1800's, the pine (Christmas) tree was appearing in more and more German households as a symbol of Christmas and would be decorated. The song became associated with Christmas (Weihnachten). During my first trips in Germany I noticed how there were trees erected on top of buildings everywhere... in August! But this is a tradition (dating back to 1400s) symbolize the erecting of the roof on a new building (Richtfest), nothing to do with Christmas but same tree (Richtbaum). So, I wonder, is this where the idea of the Christmas tree actually comes from?

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
wie treu sind deine Blätter!
Du grünst nicht nur zur Sommerzeit,
nein, auch im Winter, wenn es schneit.
wie treu sind deine Blätter!

du kannst mir sehr gefallen!
Wie oft hat nicht zur Weihnachtszeit
ein Baum von dir mich hoch erfreut!
du kannst mir sehr gefallen!

dein Kleid will mich was lehren:
Die Hoffnung und Beständigkeit
gibt Trost und Kraft zu jeder Zeit,
o Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
dein Kleid will mich was lehren

Froh Weihnachten!

Chris in Swiss

unclewalt

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:32 pm

mrp777 wrote:
Thanks "uncle walt"... you really know how to hurt a guy! ;-)
Reminds me of another tough question I failed when I was a kid: Who's buried in Grant's Tomb???
Oh, I had to look it up myself. I knew the tune, but only vaguely. I'm glad Neil said the name of it.

sandysue

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Thank you Chris for the history lesson on that song O Tannenbaum. I lived in Germany for 4 years when I was a little kid and that was a popular christmas song. :)

Sandy

willem

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Happy Xmas.

Willem

thereshopeyet

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Merry Christmas 2016 to all at TG
Thanks for the great guitar lessons.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic