Arranging and Backing Tracks: Bird on the Wire

spinland

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:03 am

michelew wrote:
I hope that doesn't mean you're sick. If it does I wish you a speedie recovery.
Thanks, Michele! Apart from the bum finger no more issue than being abed early, thus away from a proper computer. I love my little iPad for reading and sending simple messages or forum posts but for more involved writing I find I get quickly annoyed by the limited interface. :P

I could not agree more about avoiding those rather-personal topics unless one is on a forum intended for such. The current climate led me to abandon Facebook for all intents and purposes; my mental well being is too valuable to subject it to that mess.

I stick to sites devoted to music, golf, craft beer, and cats (not necessarily in that order). I'm the happier for that decision. :side:

Mark

michelew

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:34 pm

I hope your finger is feeling better soon Mark.

Thanks for the info and recommendations on interfaces. It sounds like it might be simpler for me to get another USB mic if I decide to record two separate tracks (guitar and voice) simultaneously.

I've still got a lot to learn about setups and all aspects of production. Thanks for progressing my journey.

Michele

spinland

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Sounds like a plan—with a caveat.

One of the things the audio interface (like a Scarlett) does for you is aggregate all the devices you plug into it so there is only one USB connection to your Mac. That's the input device you then select in your DAW such as Logic or GarageBand. If you have two different USB devices you want to use as inputs your DAW is not going to be able to use them both: it can only see one input device at a time.

You're going to have to aggregate the two USB mics yourself, using your Audio MIDI Setup app. Then you can name that aggregate device whatever you wish, and tell your DAW to use that as the input device. It's pretty simple, and this is one of many good videos that shows how easy it is.

[video type=youtube]aHib0Ht-X6k[/video]

michelew

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks heaps Mark. I think that is exactly what I needed.

Awesome.

M

spinland

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Progress!

Friday nights during the Winter my golf league meets at my brother-in-law's place for 18 holes on the Wii game system playing the last good version of Tiger Woods Golf (before they messed it all up). He is also a gigging guitarist (and a fingerstyle master). He has an Epiphone SG Junior lying about for some damned reason (he never plays electrics but someone gave it to him. It's autographed by Sheryl Crow for whatever that's worth). I keep it in tune when I visit and use it for unplugged practice when I'm there.

Tonight I got in some good fingerpicking and chord inversion practice between turns taking golf shots and my finger was fine the whole time. Woo hoo!

I'm close to having some more videos ready. No, I can't "just do it," but I'm getting better at not letting my inner demons dictate my progress. Tonight I was working very hard (again, between virtual golf shots) at fingering the "Neil Way" for chords like A and Em. I'm also transitioning away from fingerings for chords like E that would use the index finger, as getting comfortable with moveable barre chord shapes is high on my list (especially for harder-rocking songs) and barre places very little pressure on the messed-up part of my finger.

Life is good. :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic