Scariest Mod I've Done Yet

spinland

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:04 am

Since I've started working on playing standing, as well as on correct guitar position in general, straps have become important to me. My venerable 20-plus-year-old Art & Lutherie didn't come with a neck attach point, so I tried one of those tie-around-the-headstock things.

Hated it. The strap felt like it was in my way, and it was a constant distraction seeing it from the corner of my eye.

This morning I took the plunge: watched some YouTube instructional videos, dragged out the electric drill, and installed proper strap posts. I love the results and I'm so glad I brought myself to do this.

Mark

michelew

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Good job!

I've done that myself a couple of times. Dead scary but well worth it if you don't damage the finish. ;).

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm

A brave man Mark, taking a drill to a 20 year old guitar! Really should do that with my 30 year old 12 string but I would be scared!
Anyone know when a guitar can be considered Vintage? 30 years too young? 40 years? 50?

spinland

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:25 pm

I was emboldened by two of the videos, which were of technicians doing the deed on, in turn, an expensive-looking Martin and then a similar Taylor. I'm generally handy with tools so steeled my nerves and went to town. It probably took me almost a full minute to do the drill on the neck, I took it so very slowly. Enlarging the already-drilled spot at the base was a cinch. B)

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Great stuff

I did that a while back too.
It was a Stewmac Trade Secrets article, where Dan Erlewine explains to how to place the button so the guitar doesn't fall forward away from you but
falls towards you.

Link: Where's the best spot for your strap button?

Link: Trade Secrets - Stewmac

[strike]Dermot[/strike] Kermit

Of course you could have used a Hammer-On !

spinland

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Got the new Schaller strap lock posts in yesterday's mail and installed them this morning. Look great and I feel secure about trusting them.

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Hey Nice !

Here's some pictures when I used them a while back.

Dermot

Click Image To Enlarge:

spinland

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:00 am

Great pix, gotta love that German engineering! B)

I had gotten a set of Dunlop Straplok for my shiny new PRS electric but then several gigging friends jumped all over me warning me those were prone to failure and not to be trusted. Schaller was the unanimous recommendation so I switched the PRS over to that brand.

In the first image above I was re-purposing the Dunlops until the new Schallers arrived in post (we have bad luck in this area with indie guitar stores; even Len Bonamassa, father and mentor of the famous virtuoso, tried and failed to keep one open here).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic