Strumming Practice, Take One

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:29 am

Okay, so rejoice: less yapping and more playing this time.

I'm working hard to build a solid foundation which means I really don't yet have anything fun or entertaining to offer: practice is rather staid and boring at this level. For that reason I'm posting this here instead on the busking board because, frankly, it doesn't deserve to be there. Not yet. B)

Dead basic 4-beat strumming to a song at 72 that has only four open chords (plus a few embellishments). I've found that I have a terrible habit of getting into the song and speeding up, so several times I catch myself and try to re-sync. No backing tracks, no production tricks, just a metronome app on my iPad and a sheet of music. I need to plow through lots and lots of this dead basic stuff before I can realistically move on to "actual" playing and singing.

Ness: I've tried to get into the classical style of holding the guitar. I just can't get comfortable with it. I hate the feel and how I feel like I have to lean and reach for the lower frets. I know you guys espouse a steeper neck angle and I'm using a foot stool and holding mine higher now but there's only so far I can go before I just feel out of sorts and stop having fun. It's a process. I am fretting the Em properly now, tho. :side:

[video type=youtube]MNF4GB7kXxY[/video]

The song is "For Baby" by John Denver. I've loved his music since I was a wee lad. A three-chord version of this is the very first thing I was able to strum all the way through way back when I first tried guitar stuff so the song has an extra special place in my heart.

Here's the arrangement I'm using (and apologies in advance if this forum post borks the spacing of the chords. It's easy enough to figure out).

EDIT: Thanks to daryl's excellent suggestion for a better way to place the chords, here's a fixed version:

1. I'll (G)walk in the (C)rain by your (G)side,
2. (G)I'll be there when (C)you're feeling (G)down
3. I'll (G)walk in the (C)rain by your (G)side,

1. I'll (C)cling to the (D7)warmth of your (G)hand.
2. to (C)kiss away the (D7)tears if you (G)cry.
3. I'll (C)cling to the (D7)warmth of your (G)tiny hand.

1. I'll (C)do any(D7)thing to keep you (G)satis(Em)fied,
2. (C)I'll share with (D7)you all the (G)happiness I've (Em)found,
3. I'll (C)do any(D7)thing to help you (G)under(Em)stand, and

1. I'll (G)love you more than (D7)anybody (G)can. (G7)
2. a re(G)flection of the (D7)love in your (G)eyes. (G7)
3. I'll (G)love you more than (D7)anybody (G)can. (G7)

1. And the (C)wind will (D7)whisper your (G)name to me,
2. And I'll (C)sing you the (D7)songs of the (G)rainbow,
3. And the (C)wind will (D7)whisper your (G)name to me,

1. (C)little birds will (D7)sing along in (G)time.
2. a (C)whisper of the (D7)joy that is (G)mine.
3. (C)little birds will (D7)sing along in (G)time.

1. (C)Leaves will bow (D7)down when (G)you walk (C)by and
2. (C)Leaves will bow (D7)down when (G)you walk (C)by and
3. (C)Leaves will bow (D7)down when (G)you walk (C)by and

1. (G)morning (D7)bells will (G)chime.
2. (G)morning (D7)bells will (G)chime.
3. (G)morning (D7)bells will (G)chime. (Gsus4) (G)

daryl

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:57 am

Borking the spacing of the chords does indeed suck. That's why I always put the chords IN the lyrics.

For example:
(G) I'll walk in the (C) rain by your (G) side
(G) I'll be (C) there when (G) you're feel(D)ing down (G)

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 am

daryl wrote:
Borking the spacing of the chords does indeed suck. That's why I always put the chords IN the lyrics.

For example:
(G) I'll walk in the (C) rain by your (G) side
(G) I'll be (C) there when (G) you're feel(D)ing down (G)
Excellent tip, daryl, thanks! As in so many things, I'm learning. :side:

Mark

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 am

Fixed. :side:

wrsomers

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks for posting this Mark. You are indeed making progress. You talk about practice being boring, etc. You're right sometimes it can be. I'd like to make a suggestion in that regard...try singing while you are practicing; your voice will act as a natural metronome, it will also force you to transition your chords to keep up with your singing.

I have sometimes practiced the guitar part without singing along and find it boring too. It's just not a lot of fun and I find it difficult to really get a feel for the song.

When I was very young I had a piano teacher who would not let me practice the right and left hands separately. I hated her for it, but she was right...it's all about synergy!

Bill

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks, Bill, that's a wonderful suggestion. I'll certainly start adding that in, and it should definitely spice things up a bit. :side:

Mark

EDIT: gotta note: I'm not bored in the least. I'm loving every staid, repetitious hour I put in just bouncing back and forth between chords trying to get the fingering and tempo down. By "boring" I mean for others to have to sit through. :dry:

Mark

familyman4

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Mark,

You have certainly picked a wonderful song to work on. (This is the song John wrote for UNICEF. He dedicated it to the children of the world. Just Beautiful!) I too am a huge JD fan! I have found when learning his music, it really helps to play along with his recording. It seems like you have the chords down now and your chord changes are working fairly quickly. So, I might suggest that you turn on your MP3 of this song and have some fun playing along with John himself. Much like what has already been suggested by singing along, this will work much the same way. If I remember this song correctly, JD will be finger picking so your playing of the chords will by a great accompaniment for the song.

Keep up the good work and have fun Mark!

Bart

wiley

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:39 pm

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:43 pm

wiley wrote:
So, the thing i can see with your picking technique is, simply put, your still 'tense'. Relax. I think you have probably stumbled across the 'secret' of chord changes in the 'strumming techniques' section.
Yeah, I am. Very. Self-conscious as all hell, too, knowing that camera is staring at me. I could tell when I listened to the vocals I just did that I was tense and strained and it showed. :blink:

Thanks for the insight and tips. Methinks once I get accustomed to this scrutiny and self-imposed pressure I will, indeed, relax and just start feeling the song and letting it out.

Gonna get there! :side:

sandysue

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi Mark Thank you for posting.

sometimes I have to play the same passage over and over again to perfect it, which is so boring, so I watch TV while I practice slow repetitive finger movements getting from one difficult chord to another, putting down only the fingers that I need at the moment, rather than plunking down the whole chord at one time. I'm not sure anyone else would agree with watching TV while you practice but sometimes it works for me. :S

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic