On The Beat - Episode 369 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up March 3rd, 2017

TGKatherine

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a great weekend!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

The first 2 months of 2017 were a bit of a challenge but now that March is here I am close to being back on track. I
think the few days we got to spend in Hawaii last week may have had a lot to do with getting back into the swing of
things. Today’s video started with a little blues improv and ended with a jazzier one, with a few possibly recognizable
snippets. There was a little surf excursion as well.

In between I mentioned many of the new lessons that Vanessa and Max have done recently, quite a few by artists I
was not really familiar with. I know a lot of TGers were inspired, and surprised by the likes of Robbie Williams, The
Shadows
, Chris de Burgh, The Alabama Shakes, Keane, Hank Williams, and even Dolly Parton.

There might be a real sense of back to the regular routine as the stream of consciousness tangents got into some prog
rock essential listening http://www.3wk.com/player/playercu.php, and even an online puzzle game that I enjoy when
the occasional break is necessary. http://www.kenkenpuzzle.com/

Till next week, stay tuned & in touch,

Neil

mrp777

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 pm

I checked out the lesson of Walk Don't Run by the Ventures, but it is not the complete fingerstyle version you play in this video, which was fantastic! Any chance of updating the current lesson, or maybe adding the Chet Atkins version? Also, what was the beautiful song you played at the end (I think I recognized While My Guitar Gentle Weeps in the middle of it)?

TGNeil

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:58 pm

mrp777 wrote:
I checked out the lesson of Walk Don't Run by the Ventures, but it is not the complete fingerstyle version you play in this video, which was fantastic! Any chance of updating the current lesson, or maybe adding the Chet Atkins version? Also, what was the beautiful song you played at the end (I think I recognized While My Guitar Gentle Weeps in the middle of it)?
Hey there,
Walk Don't Run is a song I have performed live a few times without any real plan or map, which is why it took a few measures to come back to me after having no plan to play it. Someday I might do a more organized lesson on it but that is on a far side burner. I have not listened to Chet's version but I would guess there is some accompaniment, rather than a solo piece. In any case, I will keep it on the radar.

I think the tune I started the outro with was Manha de Carnaval, also known as the theme to the 50s movie Black Orpheus. This is on my CD Yesterday's News, from about 25 years ago. this is another of the hundreds of pieces on a huge array of side burners.

Thanks for the response and it is all duly noted.

Neil

jayswett

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 am

You do such an amazing version of Black Orpheus. I heard it for the first time and was amazed by it when you played it at IGC two summers ago. A drip feed lesson of that in 2018 would be well received, I would think. I do have a goal for this year to get a version of Classical Gas uploaded for a review. Similar difficulty relative to Black Orpheus, from what I can tell, although I admittedly don't have a great sense as to which songs I will find difficult and which songs I will not.

Glad you are back, although I certainly agree that Vanessa and Max provided much content for consumption by your TG flock.

auntlynnie

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Good to see you back, Neil!

Did I hear a bit of Tubular Bells in there somewhere?

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic