Crazy-good (and cheap) polyphonic clip-on tuner

wiley

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 pm

wiley

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 pm

spinland

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:41 pm

As usual, an excellent (and informative) discussion, and all I was originally doing was exulting over a cool new gadget I'd run across. :silly:

I love this place: so much knowledge and willingness to share it. :)

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Happy to say I joined the ranks of the clip on tuner owners last week and bought a Snark.... great little gadget. I know, I am the last one to get one on TG.... probably! Well, I'd been trying out guitars in Die Gitarre and realized I needed a beautiful BSG J40F in Spruce and Australian Blackwood for about as much as I paid for my car!! The owner had personally served us (Corina was with me) espressos (or is that espressie?) and we were there for 2 hours. The only way to get out of it was buy the Snark! :laugh:

michelew

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:26 pm

I had to look up polyphonic tuners. I guessed it allowed gigging musicians to refine their tuning quickly on stage.

I found this article useful if anyone else want to know the differences between tuners.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/different-guitar-tuners

Here's the relevant section:

Polyphonic tuners are a relatively new development in the guitar world. The technology was pioneered first by TC Electronics with its Polytune pedal.
Whereas stand guitar tuners allow the user to tune a guitar one string a time, a polyphonic tuner allows the player to strum the open strings and see the individual tuning of every string at the same time.

The advantage of this is that is a single strum will identify where any tuning problems lie, without having to play every string.

M

spinland

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:35 pm

michelew wrote:
I had to look up polyphonic tuners. I guessed it allowed gigging musicians to refine their tuning quickly on stage, which does seem to be the case.
Thanks for the link!

Yeah, quick retuning on stage seems to be their chief use case. They've been renowned for their polyphonic pedal tuners for years, slowly refining the design over time, and this clip-on appears to be a recent addition to the line and one aimed at a wider audience.

Besides the polyphonic feature (which, to be honest, I haven't gotten into all that much) I was most taken by the size, speed, and ease of use across any type of guitar. The accuracy was a bonus and, as I said, the strobe setting sets a new standard for portable accuracy (+/- two hundredths of a cent...that's insane) and was what I used to set the intonation of my electric. I have a fairly old Korg tuner that works okay but is too bulky to fit in a pocket and for my electric usually needs to be jacked in because the mic has trouble hearing it over ambient noise.

Of course all of my DAWs, my amp, and my multifunction digital pedal all have built-in tuners but this TC just seems so quick and convenient it was easy for me to "fall in love" with it. :side:

Mark

spinland

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:54 am

This thread is still bothering me, and that means I need to address my issue.

I feel that I was being preachy and defensive, rather than helpful. I know we all have off days, but still.

Following a link to get information, only to be faced with a proverbial rabbit hole, is definitely frustrating.

I won't be able to let this go until I own my behavior and apologize. Sorry, guys,

Love and Light.

Mark

wiley

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:03 pm

spinland

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 pm

wiley wrote:
Perhaps I owe the apology, I sometimes ramble on, and on with useless information.
FWIW I've encountered nothing useless in what I've read of the wisdom you share here. I'm a geek at heart and I adore detailed examinations like that, very much so. :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic