Curing Pick Woes or How to Hold on to that thing

wrsomers

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 am

There has always been some discussion on this forum about ways to keep one's pick from slipping, rotating or just falling out of position. I know there are lots of picks on the market to solve the problem, but I think I've hit upon a method that's simple and inexpensive. Here's a photo of what I've been doing:

The pick is a Dunlop Tortex .60mm. I used an ordinary hole punch to make the holes. The Stickum is something athletes use for better grip. Unlike some of the other sticky products, it doesn't make a mess of your hands, and if placed correctly, you can switch to finger style without it affecting your strings or nails. I put the stickum on my index finger at the first joint where the pick touches and more on the pad of my thumb. No more shifted/lost picks. Here are links to the pick and paste.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... TBGH9T635O

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... ckum+paste

If anyone tries this, I'd love to hear how it worked for you.

Bill

spinland

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 am

That's a most excellent—and inexpensive—approach!

I've recently switched to DAVA picks in my own search for such a solution, so I'll probably hold off buying more stuff (well, for a week or so at least *grin*) but I'd also be interested in hearing more insights.

I like that it doesn't mess up your hands, I'm a bit of a nut job about hating stuff on mine. :dry:

Thanks for the crazy cool tip! :side:

Mark

sbutler

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:25 am

I found a brand called ULTRA COOL pic. They have a gold, rubbery lettering embossed on them, and are very grippy till the letters rub off.

I ordered them on line.

dottmcse85630

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:44 am

I've tried the hole-punch idea an have had success with it.
BUT after Bill S. showed me the Tusq pick he has been using I immediately switched to using Tusq. It has raised lettering so if helps tremendously with grip and anti-slip.
Added bonus they really improve the sound.

Dennis

familyman4

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:56 am

I've been using the Ultra Cool picks that Scott mentioned for about 2 years now. I first found them at a guitar store in Flagstaff Az. and found them to be a great pick! Since then, I have scoured the country and I haven't found another music store that has carried them. However, I get them on line now so I have a good supply in the warehouse now:) They cost about $1.00 each but they are worth it.

Bart

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Bill

Nail :dry: the pick on !

:P

wrsomers

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:21 pm

All good ideas! Dermot, you never fail to make me laugh :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

spinland

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:58 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Bill

Nail :dry: the pick on !
:lol:

wrsomers

Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:13 am

I just finished watching Neil's "On The Beat" episode for this week. His advice about holding a pick is great and I get what he's saying. However, as one ages, it becomes harder to do some of the things that were easy at a younger age. I don't know exactly why that is (or maybe I do but don't want to admit it). :laugh: In the past I never even thought about keeping a hold on the pick, it just came naturally. Now it's a constant effort maintaining control. So anything that makes things easier is welcome in my world. ;) :) .

So thanks for the advice Neil, it's very helpful...carrying a pick around has added benefits....like not having to remember where I put it down :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Bill

spinland

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:22 am

wrsomers wrote:
..carrying a pick around has added benefits....like not having to remember where I put it down :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Bill
:laugh:

So very true. Starting to use one has also meant starting to lose one—or many. :silly:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic