On The Beat - Episode 374 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up April 7th, 2017

TGKatherine

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a great weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... -7th-2017/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Picks, thumbtacks, and an original CD from a long time member of the TG Community. Welcome to April, where
showers are continuing here in Northern California.

Today’s update started with a John Fahey piece that crossed my path again after many years, Some Summer Day.
A question came to me last week about using a thumb pick and this song is an example of when I might grab one.
It is all explained in the segment, along with other thoughts on flat pick tricks.

Some other tunes broke out at various times, including Faro’s Rag by John Renbourn, snippets of things I sometimes
use a thumb pick on, like Pipeline, The Clap, and Anji.

And I passed out some thoughts on playing perfectly for a recording, why the notes in Is There Anybody Out There
might have the illusion of moving faster, and a little Neil Young bootleg memory.

In the continuing lesson release program we got Stevie Wonder’s Superstition, courtesy of our TotallyElectric buddy
Max, and a pair of U2 songs from Vanessa, In God’s Country and Running To Stand Still.

The big thing for me this week was hearing John Jameson’s CD, Home. John has been at our last three IGCs and it
really helped him get on the songwriting and recording path. The disc is available at iTunes, CDBaby, and maybe
soon directly from John for those who might like autographed copies. John will be joining us at Asilomar as well for
IGC 2017, where the CDs will be available too.

That’s the update for this week,

Neil

spinland

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 am

Interesting notes on holding a pick, Neil, and very topical for someone like me.

Until this past December, when I got the PRS and rekindled my desire to learn to play, I had not used a pick of any sort; I was a "thumb strummer." For me the whole plectrum process is uncharted territory and I do a LOT (!) of experimenting as I seek the One Pick to Rule Them All that works for me.

I watched your related training video, and I do hold one much as you espouse. Thing is, as I (so very slowly) work on technique I deal with string attack, focused picking, not having a death grip, and a raft of other learning curve slippery slopes. When the pick gets a case of the squirmies that distracts me from other stuff I'm trying to nail down.

So, for me, adopting a pick that helps mitigate some of the issues is, let's say, a sort of set of training wheels. Not a crutch, but an aid to getting someplace. I've recently adopted the DAVA brand pick, and one of the great things about the design is that, in addition to the squirmies-reducing grip, it's designed so that where you grip it changes the effective thickness. One Pick to Rule, indeed.

At some point I might stop using them but, for now, I have one less problem distracting me from other things (like getting these dang barre chords into finger memory). :side:

Mark

spinland

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:17 am

Oh, and here's a question for ya, Neil: the guitar you've recently been using in your weekly videos. I have this feeling that you've mentioned it before but I can't place it: is it a Santa Cruz?

I ask because at some point in my journey I think I'm going to start shopping for a smaller-than-dreadnaught acoustic, preferably with a cutaway, and I love the look and tone of yours. I've tried searching the interTubez for clues to the brand but with no visible logos and a fairly simple headstock shape I came up short. :side:

Thanks!

Mark

mrp777

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:36 am

Hi Neil,

The YouTube version of this video has an incorrect tittle. It says "March 7th" instead of April.

Best,

Michael

TGNeil

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:14 pm

mrp777 wrote:
Hi Neil,

The YouTube version of this video has an incorrect tittle. It says "March 7th" instead of April.

Best,

Michael
Fixed now, thanks!

wrsomers

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:52 pm

spinland wrote:
Oh, and here's a question for ya, Neil: the guitar you've recently been using in your weekly videos. I have this feeling that you've mentioned it before but I can't place it: is it a Santa Cruz?

I ask because at some point in my journey I think I'm going to start shopping for a smaller-than-dreadnaught acoustic, preferably with a cutaway, and I love the look and tone of yours. I've tried searching the interTubez for clues to the brand but with no visible logos and a fairly simple headstock shape I came up short. :side:

Thanks!

Mark
Mark,
I'll jump in here for Neil. His guitar is an Ed Claxton. You'd better start saving your pennies because they start at over 150 Benjamins.
Bill

spinland

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:55 pm

wrsomers wrote:

Mark,
I'll jump in here for Neil. His guitar is an Ed Claxton. You'd better start saving your pennies because they start at over 150 Benjamins.
Bill
:blink:

Zoinks. Gonna need a bigger piggy bank.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic