Neil's Lesson on The Beatles "Something"

wrsomers

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm posting this comment here for lack of a better more suitable place on the forum. I'm working on this song and have tried some easier (possibly) chord shapes. I posted this comment at the bottom of the lesson, but I don't know if it will be noticed so here it is again:

Hi Neil,
I have finally decided to tackle this song. I love the key it is in but I think a couple of the chords would be easier in different forms. Namely Playing the intro/riff C as a barre in the A shape at the 3rd fret, and the E7/B chord as a barre in the A shape at the 7th fret. Also I think the F# sequence sounds great played in the barred A shape at the 9th fret. I'd love to know what you think about that.

Bill

wrsomers

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:30 pm

On second thought, I'm just going to play it in the Abbey Road key of C. Much easier!!

TGNeil

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:32 am

wrsomers wrote:

Hi Neil,
I have finally decided to tackle this song. I love the key it is in but I think a couple of the chords would be easier in different forms. Namely Playing the intro/riff C as a barre in the A shape at the 3rd fret, and the E7/B chord as a barre in the A shape at the 7th fret. Also I think the F# sequence sounds great played in the barred A shape at the 9th fret. I'd love to know what you think about that.

Bill[/quote]

Hi Bill,

You have some good ideas there. When I was working on this there were quite a few different fingerings I considered and the 'A' barre family can definitely be useful, especially for the C in the intro. Another possibility for the E7/B would be a D7 shape played up 1 step with the 2nd, 3rd & 4th fingers, getting the B in the bass on the 5th string with the 1st finger.

The F# sequence at the 9th fret doesn't work very well for the maj7 then 6 chords as far as voice leading is concerned.

It is definitely easier to play in C as an accompaniment if that key works for your voice.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying this great song!

Neil

wrsomers

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks Neil!
Yes after playing the F# at 9th fret for awhile, I agree it doesn't work too well.

What I've settled on is playing in C with my guitar tuned down a half step and the opening riff played thus:

Barred F at 1st fret, open string brush stroke to Eb in barred A shape at 6th fret, G in barred E shape at 3rd fret, and standard open C.

The rest are just open chords in C, Cmaj7, C7 etc. I've even been able to add some fills using those fingerings.

I play the Am part of the verse as open Am, then drop the 3rd string down to first fret (using a mini barre on 2nd & 3rd strings with index finger and 3rd finger staying on 4th string 2nd fret), then open Am7

Thanks for your help on one of my "all time favorites"

Bill

PS. That range forces me to use my head voice. Thanks Jim Bruno for teaching that to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic