TGKatherine

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Hello everyone,

Matt joined Neil on today's Wrap Up.

Have a great week!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... -6th-2017/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Hi Gang,

Last weekend TG Central was treated to host our fearless leader, Matt Williams. I’m sure the long time members
remember when Matt was all over TG, especially with our series of TG Live webcasts. On Sunday we sat down in
front of the camera and reminisced about the last 9-10 tears, and wandered into all kinds of random thoughts.
Hopefully there will be some interesting or enlightening topics there.

Some of the early live shows can be found here
http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-songs/270/

And I’m sure they are all available somewhere on the site if you dig a little bit. Warning though- some are a bit
long. The first was about five and a half hours but as more evolved we kept them to about one or two.

Neil

BobR

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Neil and Matt,

I always look forward to your weekly updates, but this was a special treat.

Thanks so much for starting TG. I would never have progressed without it or met such a great community of people sharing similar interests.
Bob

PS
Neil, Good luck on your next surgery

TGNesh

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:59 am

Wow.....awesome to watch you guys together again....! That was also a nice trip down TG-memory lane...Still very happy to be part of it all and hope to be for many years to come.

Thanks guys for sharing your time together with us.

Ness

familyman4

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:42 am

Nice "unscripted" video. It fits in the wonderful world of TG! And I mean that as a compliment just in case you are wondering....

Bart

tombo1230

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Good to see you again Matt, you should drop in more often.

Good luck with your second surgery Neil.

Tom N.

unclewalt

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:40 am

TGNeil

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:20 pm

unclewalt wrote:
It turns out that a piece of music that is widely considered to be one of the very best compositions produced in the rock era is "noise." Huh. I hadn't realized that.
Hi Walt,

Any more details on what you are referring to, or what composition we apparently slighted?

Neil

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Neil and Matt
Great Update.

Good Luck with your next knee operation.

Dermot

unclewalt

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:06 pm

TGNeil

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 pm

unclewalt wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
unclewalt wrote:
It turns out that a piece of music that is widely considered to be one of the very best compositions produced in the rock era is "noise." Huh. I hadn't realized that.
Hi Walt,

Any more details on what you are referring to, or what composition we apparently slighted?

Neil
You didn't slight anything, as you are not generally given to doing so, but not only were a whole bunch of classic and truly great CCR riffs waved off as unremarkable or bad, but "Close to The Edge" was written off as "noise." I was just taken aback, is all. I happen to have just listened to that (the version here) the other day, and was yet again thunderstruck by its greatness, as I have been for nearly 45 (!) years now. Lyrics aside (maybe), this is as good as any piece of music ever produced, including anything from jazz or any classical composition. Even if you don't like the band or the genre, I don't think the achievement of it can be denied, and an offhand dismissal of it after a few seconds of listening seems sort of fecklessly tin-eared to me.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I did have Matt listen to Close To The Edge that morning and the first 3 minutes stretched his patience, unlike Lady Fantasy from Camel which grabbed him right away. We were a bit pressed for time as I tried to give him a sample of the progressive rock movement of the early seventies in about 20 minutes. I never got to Thick As A Brick or The Court Of The Crimson King, let alone Karn Evil 9 due to time constraints so we need to cut some serious slack here. And we were months away from Ars Longa Vita Brevis, just to name one, if I was going to try to explain the complete evolution. It is certainly not to everyone's taste but that is the case with many of my students, at first. I am a music educator and I only try to take everyone to places they may appreciate and enjoy. And, having said that, I have never exposed anyone to The Nice.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic