On The Beat - Episode 380 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up June 30th, 2017

TGKatherine

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Hello everyone,

Neil's back with some news.

Have a great weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 30th-2017/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

As June comes to a close I can only say I am glad to have these last 2 months behind me. It was a
big decision to check out and take the time off necessary to get my knees fixed. I have to say it has
given me what feels like a new lease on life, being able to walk painlessly is just around the corner.
I am also sure this will carry over into my enthusiasm for working on new lessons.

Today’s update started with a little Hot Tuna improv and included some thoughts on 5/4 time, as
came up this week in the Post about Living In The Past. There were a few other random thoughts,
a recap of this week's lessons, Shania Twain's You're Still The One, and Wes Montgomery's
Road Song
, and a closing improv as well but I hope that very soon we will be back to business as
usual here at TG.

Neil

BobR

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 am

Hi Neil,

Glad to see you back and doing so well.

bob

willem

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:07 pm

All around Dm?

unclewalt

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Excellent look at 5/4, and I actually followed it pretty well while you were talking and playing. But really, when I try to count it out on my own, I just get lost. Still, I enjoyed your explanation.

But as I said, it doesn't really matter, since I clearly can play it without having to really understand it. I'm a little disappointed I didn't learn this stuff as a kid, when I really could have absorbed it. But, oh well.

I knew that there was something like a dotted-quarter, or whatever -- that some of the beats were elongated. I just used the one-beat-per-syllable example as a way to convey that I can't get the count down in my head, hard as I try. I mainly posted just to express how freaky it was to me that my intuitive sense of rhythm is apparently so strong that I mapped "Take Five" to "Living in the Past" without even thinking about it, while at the same time having zero intellectual/cognitive understanding of it.

The Atkins version of "Take Five" is in Em. The original Brubeck is in E-flat minor. So far for me, it's one of those that I pick up and memorize fairly quickly, but it will take me months to really have it down.

unclewalt

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:47 pm

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 pm

Looking and sounding great Neil! You can really hear the new strings :)

bigears

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:34 am

Glad you've come out the other side Neil and that your mobility can only improve now. I think Ill put 5/4 time on the back burner for now.
Pete (Isle of Wight)

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Neil

Sounds tough having both knees done.

I know someone who had both done about 15 years ago and he was given a new lease of life.

I enjoyed the Dave Brubeck Take Five demo.
Hopefully you can get around to creating a lesson on it.

First things first, get well soon in......

5/4 time.

Dermot

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic