On The Beat - Episode 382 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 28th, 2017

TGKatherine

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a great weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 28th-2017/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

So it has been about 3 months since my last lesson, until today that is. I certainly did not think
that was going to be the case going into the Hogan’s summer of surgeries. I hope everybody
had plenty of material to keep themselves occupied and now we should be close to the old output
of lessons.

I can say I have a few songs that I am excited about getting to lessons on, although they seem
to be getting more complicated than I had first thought.

This week we had another great lesson from Vanessa on Cambodia by Kim Wilde, Max’s brilliant
acoustic approach to Led Zeppelin’s Fool In The Rain, and my re-entry lesson on an approach to
playing a one-acoustic-guitar accompaniment to Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. Needless to say,
the vocal pyrotechnics were not addressed in the lesson.

Along the way there was a bit of improvising, bits, pieces, and stories on a favorite original titled
A Little Jolt, and a question for the TG Community on high end capos.

More next week…

Neil

kelemenj

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:31 am

The Thalia capos are pretty nice. I got a 'low end' version for about $70. If you have a nice guitar you may not want a spring loaded Keyser creating an indentation on the back of your neck. I find they also tend to pull everything a little too sharp. I have used the kind of capos that use a knob to clamp down, but I have personally found those to be less than sturdy. So while not really a necessity, they are a nice treat. I would liken it having a Cross Pen instead of a ballpoint. Both get the job done but one has a bit more style and elegance. Well that's my 2 cents.

John

familyman4

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:33 am

Glad to see you back in full force Neil! And the fact that you are doing so well with your knee recovery is fabulous. Thanks for the update!

To answer your last question about the Thalia Capos. You know they are made in Northern California in your neck of the woods :cheer: Anyway, I am lucky enough to have a couple of them and have had them for over a year. There are 3 big advantages to them as far as I am concerned: A) the changeable inserts so you can really fit the radius of your guitar properly B) because of this, your guitar remains in tune better when moving the capo up and down the neck between songs, and C) moving the capo up and down the neck is very quick. Simply squeeze, move and stay in tune. Worth the money as far as I am concerned. And like almost everything else in this world, you can get crazy expensive for higher end options but the $60-$70 ones are beautiful and work exactly the same as a $300 one.

Bart

wiley

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 pm

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:26 pm

:ohmy:
Would the higher prices reflect more the atheistics than functionality when more basic cheaper designs work fine ?

Dermot

familyman4

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Hello Dermot,

I don't want to try and "sell" you on these capo's. However, to answer your question: they are both pleasing to the eye and the functionality is better than what we have all dealt with in the past. From the spring inside, the ease of moving (w/o retuning) & design to the overall appearance.

Please go to their website and take a look at the features how they are made, and all of the different options available to match your particular guitar. I think that if you try one, you would like it very much.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic