On The Beat - Episode 386 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 18th, 2017

davidrfinn99165

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:58 pm

wiley wrote:

One missing thing, just how many frets should you like marked? And on which frets? What color? How big should they be? Maybe a fretboard colored like that piano is, all of them a different color?
How about the ones which i guess 90% of the guitars on the market have.. you know, quite simple ones but helpfully always on the same frets ?

I've just been on the Martin, Taylor and Guild websites to confirm my expectation that pretty much all of their guitars, if not actually all their guitars, have fret markers.... not just for beginners and students, but sold to the majority of people who play the guitar up to performers of concert ability.

So the request is not unreasonable or perverse in any way..... i am surprised people see it as of little consequence. It would be unimportant if this site was devoted to basket-weaving or fly-fishing , but as somewhere devoted to learning the guitar it seems to be a reasonable request worthy of consideration, and not the descent into personalities which has occured.

As for Neil's ability (Wiley - your earlier post) to communicate through the magic screen, i'd say the limitations of the screen are part of my point - i am not in the room with Neil in Los Gatos, and i can't tap him on the shoulder and ask 'excuse me my friend, are you up at the 9th or 10th fret on your fretless guitar there?'

I'd invite you , or anyone else, to bring up Neil's playthrough for eg the middle section of Cavatina, and tell me which frets all the chords being played are at once they get up past the 5th or 7th frets, what is the chord, which is the root note, which is the form of the inversion? I understand that there are other materials available, but going back to the playthrough a couple of years after learning Cavatina I am finding it irritating to have to keep pausing the video to count the frets.

I don't believe the points i have made above have been made in a childish manner. As with Bill's original post some time ago, they are made by someone who is a serious student of this site and other online guitar sites, working on a range of songs including sometimes complex pieces. Fret markers would help me in my learning.

Like Bill I am a regular contributor to the forum and like Bill I am a previous attender of the IGC. I am surprised that the people above who clearly respect Bill's abilities as a guitar player don't have more respect for his opinions. The line that says "Bill, i don't play as well as you and i don't need them' is seriously confused thinking. And as Unclewalt says, solipsistic.

As a supporter for several years of TG, the people, the teachers, the resource, a participant in the community, but also a subscriber paying a few hundred bucks a year, i don't see myself in a child/parent relationship here. I guess neither does BIll, and i support him. Sure i can live with 'No' for an answer, but some of the nonsense on here this last week I am finding hard to live with. When otherwise supportive paying customers make a reasonably argued request for an improvement to their teaching service then i'd expect to be offered a customer-focused explanation as to why that request could not be met. Four pages in and i don't think i have heard it yet.

/ david

spinland

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm

If I may. This is not self serving commercially but an attempt to smooth the waters. I’m a VFX artist by trade. That means that something rather simple like going into post production mode and adding fret markers to existing footage is trivially easy for me.

Neil, if you’re following this, I’m more interested in keeping family happy than in making a killing from something like this. Can we talk?

spinland

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:05 pm

"That was the truth out here. It wasn’t law that got you by. It was good manners. It was giving in on a point that wasn’t fatal to you, and might be to them." ~ CJ Cherryh, Chanur’s Legacy

How many points being argued here are actually fatal to the arguer?

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic