On The Beat - Episode 386 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 18th, 2017

TGKatherine

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Hello everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a great weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 18th-2017/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

TG Central has been busy with visitors this week heading into IGC. Today Vanessa sat in with me and
we talked about her new guitar, built by James Goodall, along with a brief rundown of the lessons added.

We had Ain’t It Fun by Paramore and Islands In The Stream by The Bee Gees. Along the way we were
treated to a short rendition of Romanza on the new guitar.

The rest of the time was just a random conversation trading thoughts on teaching, interpreting
instrumentals, and a bit of looking forward to next week’s camp fun. Pictures and stories will follow soon.

Back in a couple weeks,

Neil

wrsomers

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:39 am

Hi Ness and Neil!
Great to see you two together again. That was a delightful weekly update. Congratulations Ness on your beautiful new guitar, it looks and sounds great. I too will miss being at camp,and thanks to you both for understanding my reasons for not making the trip.

"BAD CAN OF WORMS" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: No worries Neil. People my age can be cranky at times :silly: :silly: I'm lucky I can still see the fret board at all :laugh: :P .

Anyway, best wishes too all for a fun time in Monterey.

Bill

thereshopeyet

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:52 am

Neil and Vanessa

Great Weekly News.

Romanza, Vanessa nicely played !

Dermot

Edit
:ohmy:

Click Image To Enlarge

Neil, you do know :dry: everything !!! :ohmy: Image

spinland

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 am

Woo hoo!

If possible, watching this has me even more excited about camp!

On a tangent: why potsticker? I'm a total cat fanatic and if it were practical to bring our little Rebus along he'd handle your fly situation in a trice. He's a fly-catching ninja: leaps and bats them out of the sky, then pounces before they recover. It's amazing to watch, except he's so good at it we rarely have flies for him to practice his art on.

Okay, back to guitar stuff. See you tomorrow!

Mark

suziko

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Ness and Neil,

Well, as requested, I am popping in to say Hi! It was fun to be one of the exclusive “tens” of people watching this recap and to get to see Ness’s beautiful, new guitar in action. I must say, it sounds even better than it did in the Target parking lot where she gave it a test run. :laugh: It is truly a beautiful guitar and very much suits you, Ness. I loved hearing your little snippet of Romanza. I definitely look forward to hearing about what you end up playing at camp for the open mics.

Having the opportunity to spend a few days with Ness this week was such a joy for me, and I am grateful to Neil, Chris and Corina for being gracious enough to part with her. Our time together was a lot of fun, though way too short. But we had a great time hanging out on my back deck, enjoying the lovely weather, visiting a beautiful Washington winery, and meeting up with Dennis for dinner. I can only hope that we'll have the opportunity to reconnect in person again next summer!

I went back to school 3 years ago to pursue my degree in Nursing, and I haven’t really played my guitar much since then. But having Ness here, and listening to her play on my little Taylor, inspired me to give it a go again. The day after she left I played for about an hour, just working on some old fingerpicking favorites. So maybe I’ll try to pop in from time to time and see what is going on here and to check out what lessons have been added.

I hope you all have a wonderful time at IGC and happy 5th anniversary!

Fondly,

Suzi

TGNesh

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Can't tell you how happy i am to see you here on the forums again Suzi! I of course know that life is incredibly busy for you, and no less with another year of school ahead of you. But i love that my visit inspired you to play some guitar again!

I absolutely loved to spend time together (really hope we can make it work again next year!), you just totally spoiled me! And it was great to meet up with Dennis too. Who knew that i would return with a new guitar! :ohmy: :cheer: Thankfully i didn't let the parking lot affect my decision to much. :laugh: In truth, you being there, listening in, made the biggest difference to go for it. And gosh, how happy i am now!

I of course used it every open mic B) . Oh and i also did perform your suggestion 'Love The One You're With', that was much much fun!! :woohoo:

In any way, thanks so much for popping in and your kind comments! :kiss: Camp was a blast, i will tell you about it soon.

Good luck on your last year of nursing school!

Much love,

Nessa

suziko wrote:
Ness and Neil,

Well, as requested, I am popping in to say Hi! It was fun to be one of the exclusive “tens” of people watching this recap and to get to see Ness’s beautiful, new guitar in action. I must say, it sounds even better than it did in the Target parking lot where she gave it a test run. :laugh: It is truly a beautiful guitar and very much suits you, Ness. I loved hearing your little snippet of Romanza. I definitely look forward to hearing about what you end up playing at camp for the open mics.

Having the opportunity to spend a few days with Ness this week was such a joy for me, and I am grateful to Neil, Chris and Corina for being gracious enough to part with her. Our time together was a lot of fun, though way too short. But we had a great time hanging out on my back deck, enjoying the lovely weather, visiting a beautiful Washington winery, and meeting up with Dennis for dinner. I can only hope that we'll have the opportunity to reconnect in person again next summer!

I went back to school 3 years ago to pursue my degree in Nursing, and I haven’t really played my guitar much since then. But having Ness here, and listening to her play on my little Taylor, inspired me to give it a go again. The day after she left I played for about an hour, just working on some old fingerpicking favorites. So maybe I’ll try to pop in from time to time and see what is going on here and to check out what lessons have been added.

I hope you all have a wonderful time at IGC and happy 5th anniversary!

Fondly,

Suzi

wrsomers

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Just watched this wrap up again. One comment about what was said at 8:17 in the video...Real guitar teachers (and all good teachers for that matter) try to make things as easy as possible for their students!

TGNeil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Just watched this wrap up again. One comment about what was said at 8:17 in the video...Real guitar teachers (and all good teachers for that matter) try to make things as easy as possible for their students!
Hey Bill,

I am not sure when things changed for you because I thought there was a time when you thought I was a real, and even good guitar teacher. My philosophy has never been to make things as easy as possible. A better, quick description might that I want to help students learn as much as possible. I don't know when there would be a case made for the easiest way being the best way. My goal is to challenge students to become the best they can, which usually would get them to a point where they are better than they thought they could be.

I would love to hear other opinions on this from the entire TG Community as my goal as a teacher is to keep improving, and I rarely give a lesson where I don't get new insight into teaching.

Neil

familyman4

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Okay then, I will try my best to respond and hope that I can do so without hurting feelings along the way.

Neil, I believe with all my heart & soul that you are a fantastic teacher! Your style hasn't changed from the time I started on this path with TG. Sometimes the "fly on the wall" lessons put me on edge a little because I want to help answer the questions you are asking of your students and I want to help them pull out the answer. Again, this has been your style and you are challenging students to think thru the process and figure out the answers. If anyone has more knowledge of the guitar and all the different styles of music than you do, I don't know who it would be. I would also like to add that your style has been a big influence on how Vanessa teaches as well. She does a thorough & fantastic job following your roadmap and still putting her own flare in her lessons.. All of this being said, my frustrations are only with the TG site structure and issues, but never the instructors ability to teach and help me improve. If you could add more time in my day for practice, that would be spectacular!

Bill, I remember when you joined TG. You had as much enthusiasm as anyone that ever joined. Somehow, it seems that fret markers became an issue that you just haven't been able to get over. I sure wish you could find a way to do so because I miss seeing you and hearing you on TG. Your songs were always something I looked forward to watch and listen to. So a question I have, hopefully w/o appearing to forward, why can't you simple pause the video if there is an occasional spot in a lesson that you need to count the frets. I would bet big money that as much as you already know about playing guitar, you already know where the correct frets are all the time anyway.

Bart

michelew

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:45 am

Neil,

I consider you a teachers' teacher. You not only teach us a wealth of important stuff but you teach us how to work things out for ourselves too and challenge us for sure. If I had the time to take in even 10% of what you've offered us here on TG, I'd be SO much more progressed in my journey of becoming a good player.

You've inspired me in so many ways; including some I never expected, like trying my hand at songwriting.

I'm sure you've taught me more than I've even realized.

I think that you and Vanessa are a fantastic team and teach and challenge us in ways that are complementary and different. It works for me when I can take advantage of it.

I also suspect that it's not your teaching that's the issue here; perhaps it's an unintended slight (something taken the wrong way). But of course we all perceive things differently and of course learn differently so who am I to say what work for anyone else.

Personally I think your style is brilliant.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic