On The Beat - Episode 401 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 12th, 2018

tgjameela

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

This weeks wrap up is live!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 12th-2018/

More playing than News today. I was inspired by Max’s lesson on And Your Bird Can Sing where he goes into
harmonizing a melodic line, like the opening of this cool Beatles’ tune. As you probably know, I am always
looking for ways to do multiple things on the solo guitar and it made me think I could put the two parts
together without the looping gadget that Max talks about. After a bit of messing with it I am sure it can be
done with a little more practice.

Speaking of playing more than you think possible on one guitar, I dialed up a video of Muriel Anderson playing
Superstition for one of my students recently to demonstrate how amazing these types of things can be. We are
having a fun weekend around here as she is on tour in California and hanging out here for a couple days.
Hopefully some time for videos tomorrow.

Vanessa brought us a couple really interesting lessons lately as well, the Chris Cornell cover of Nothing
Compares 2 U
and I Want To Break Free by Queen. I am continually impressed and surprised by the songs
she makes lessons out of.

I was finally able to get back on track with Carole King’s Will You Love Me Tomorrow, which I started months
ago but kept wanting to add more stuff to the lesson. I decided to cancel the solo version as the other 3
approaches seemed like plenty. In today’s update I did run through a rough sketch of how it might go someday.
That also took me into noodling with a little ELP as one of my students asked me about a solo version of
Take A Pebble. It might be another thing on a side burner for a bit but I hope you enjoy it.

And that’s where we are almost halfway through January.

mweston

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm

I read a Joe Walsh interview in some guitar magazine in the early 90's where he talked about being obsessed with the intro to "And Your Bird Can Sing", and spending weeks working out how to play it. Years later he mentioned his accomplishment to Ringo and was asking how George had come up with the intro. Ringo then informed him that the intro was double-tracked and George never played both parts at the same time. Joe Walsh in the interview claimed he was now the only one who could do that.

davidrfinn99165

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:31 pm

mweston wrote:
Ringo then informed him that the intro was double-tracked and George never played both parts at the same time. Joe Walsh in the interview claimed he was now the only one who could do that.
Well done Joe. But it is one thing being able to play it...the key thing is being able to write it !!

Great lesson from Max !!

sandysue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Neil
Wow I had forgotten what a great musician Muriel is. She’s so talented.
I also love the instrumental that you played today for the song Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow by Carol King. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic