The Spincaster Project

spinland

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Quick coupla addenda:

Sandy, gotta make sure the tone of my reaction was the one I wanted to project: LOVED your comment, literally laughed out loud, and thank you so much for that. ;)

Guitar philosophy. Yeah, I've felt a little tentative about giving my electric predilection full rein here. On the plus side, part of IGC was my getting very positive feedback about it from several people, long-timers here and staff alike, so I'm losing that feeling. Knowing I'm not into AC/DC or EVH style shredding and hard rock and all that helps a lot, I expect. To me, an electric is not that far removed from how I'd personally want to be using an acoustic at this stage in my journey; the electric just gives me more options.

When I came to IGC I brought two guitars, and that decision made for a lot of hassle and difficulty during travel. I vowed no more and, if I had to pick one over the other, it will be an electric. I can always clean that up for ballad and rhythm style stuff, but there's no practical way to dirty up an acoustic or get it to sound like some of the stuff that's in my head. I'm designing this guitar to be the One Guitar To Rule Them All so I don't feel like I need to bring a Variax next time in order to cover the variety I want. My Memphis 335 is already close, but this Spincaster is (I hope) going to get me all the way there. The pickups are from the same guy who made the ones I put in the 335 so that part is mostly a known quantity.

To summarize some of the options (I know, I know, I promised I wouldn't bore you with tech details, I;'ll keep it high level) each Humbucker pickup will have four distinct tone options, the two of them will be able to interact with each other in four different ways, and the center pickup will be able to be blended in at various levels, and in two different ways.

That kind of variety should be able to get me almost anywhere I want to be, not even counting messing around with amp settings or effects pedals.

In theory, anyway. :silly:

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Nice work Mark and Eric! What wonderful projects! :)

spinland

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:39 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice work Mark and Eric! What wonderful projects! :)
:) :side: :silly:

spinland

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 am

Here's a shot I took while I was working out the wiring harness and testing various possibilities before doing the actual soldering bit.

spinland

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:36 am

And here it is nearly finished. Adding the screws to hold on the pick guard here.

spinland

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 am

I just finished the build. Going to let it sit overnight, then tomorrow after work I'll do a setup and tune it and start checking out how it sounds.

I'd share up some pictures tonight but right now my studio is such a frightful mess there's nowhere I could set it up and step back far enough to get it into a shot. Got some tidying up to do! :side:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:46 pm

I am in awe of people who have the skills to do this kind of building Mark, great going!

spinland

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I am in awe of people who have the skills to do this kind of building Mark, great going!
Thanks! Methinks it's just a matter of being interested enough in the project to be willing to learn whatever it takes to make it happen. Also the willingness to make a right dog's breakfast of it now and then until you get it right. :silly:

Here she is in all her glory. The pedalboard isn't even plugged in right now, just using it direct into the amp while I learn her wily ways. The action still needs tweaking but that can wait a day or two until I know the first set of strings has settled in and all the pieces parts are seated and stable. Setup on this thing was, predictably, a lot of work since it started as a collection of disconnected parts.

spinland

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Here's a closeup of that gorgeous Rosina wood body fully assembled:

elennon

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:11 am

looks great Mark

Chris, thanks for the comment, helps my motivation to get back to the workshop ,last month was not possible due to family commitments.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic