On The Beat - Episode 403 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 26th, 2018

TGKatherine

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

This week's wrap up is live!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 26th-2018/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tot ... d519276594

This week we had a few lessons that I was particularly fond of, which inspired me to noodle around with one, butcher
another, and offer a preview of what may be upcoming as an addition to another.

The videos alluded to included Sandy’s FOTW playing with the Soundbrenner metronome, Max’s look at Dig A Pony by
The Beatles
, Hello by Lionel Richie and our bossa nova lesson of the week, The Girl From Ipanema by Antonio Carlos
Jobim as done by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto

The Beatles lesson sent me off into a story about working with a student this week on songs from Beware Of Abkco, a
classic bootleg of George Harrison demoing a bunch of songs for Phil Spector preparing for his album All Things Must Pass.

I also got into an explanation of harmonics and fret spacing inspired by Mike’s post from last week. It got a little technical,
even down to harmonic spots not over frets. Maybe it will pull Wrench back into the fold.

That’s it for January!

See you next week-

Neil

TGNesh

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:34 am

I am pleasantly surprised that you're (somewhat) familiar with Lionel Richie and even like his Hello. (I won't tell anybody) :cheer: :laugh: Such a nice progression to play around with. I in particular love how it moves in the chorus.

Theoretically speaking, in my mind i look at it just going from every chord to its chord IV. (even though Dm goes to G and not Gm)

But i guess you can also look at it as in going down a 5th (starting with A(m) to Dm), moving up a 4th to G, a 5th down to C, a 4th up to F, a 5th down to Bb. As in steps of course. Although i probably look at it more that way when playing it on the piano.

How do you look at it?

Beautiful chordsolo, pleasantly surprised hearing that one too! ;)

jayswett

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 am

Additional lessons on Girl from Ipanenma would be amazing. For now will try to digest all that I can with what you have already posted. I am also working, and frankly struggling a bit, on City of Stars. Will keep at it today, but I have found it more frustrating than I thought I would.

davidrfinn99165

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 pm

This has been a great week for new lessons thx.....
Ipanema,
Pony
Hello

..terrific !

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Neil

Cool week and weekly news !

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic