On The Beat - Episode 404 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up February 2nd, 2018

TGKatherine

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:16 am

Hi Everyone,

This week's wrap up is live!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -2nd-2018/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tot ... d519276594

This week a question came up on the Forum about the metronome setting for Kathy’s Song by Simon & Garfunkel, although
the lesson we have is based on Eva Cassidy’s version. I don’t always mention, or even make note of the speed in many lessons,
and the Guitar Pro file is not necessarily accurate as I don’t usually bother with that.

So rather than just give the answer I decided to demonstrate the technique I use. It started with just trying to synchronize my
metronome with the recording, then I went into a couple other songs, and even used a John Renbourn song as an example to
show that most recordings do not stay true to real ‘metronome’ time.

Along the way I pulled up Eva's and Paul Simon’s takes on Kathy’s Song, a little gem from Seatrain called Out Where The Hills,
and a flashy John Renbourn piece called My Dear Boy, which included me trying to play it with the metronome, which probably
should have been rehearsed but who has the Time?

Before I started playing the ‘Fun With Metronomes’ game, I started with a little improve that turned into a distant version of a
bossa nova I recorded about 25 years ago on my album Yesterday’s News, Black Orpheus. There was a stab at Billy Joel’s Piano
Man as well, since this week a FOTW went up with Kevin working on that tune. We also had a lesson from Max on the Red Hot
Chili Peppers Around The World

Meanwhile, here at TG Central I am in the throes of replacing equipment that someone decided they needed more than I did. It
put a little dent in the lesson production schedule but hopefully things will be back on track next week.

I hope everybody can enjoy the videos below, particularly Seatrain, a band I always really liked.

Neil

sbutler

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:14 pm

That was a informative lecture on timing. Good stuff.

However, and I know I'm going out on a limb here, because Renborn is your hero. But, that song {to me} didn't sound musical when he recorded it. And I think that it would sound good to my ear, at about half the speed you said it was.{215bpm maybe}

Anyway, sorry to hear, no MAD to hear that someone broke into your cabin. Glad the guitars stayed home.

Scott

michelew

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Neil,

Thanks for the metronome info and everything else. Another similar approach (and easier) that I use is to open a new song file in GarageBand and then use the “tap to set tempo” setting (in settings, tempo). You similarly just listen to the song you’re interested in finding the tempo for, tap the mouse or iPad screen to the beat you’re hearing and then when you’ve settled into the groove you read the tempo from the screen. Perhaps that’s cheating. :) but it’s really useful and quicker.

I enjoyed your Pianoman noodling.

For Eva’s version of Kathy’s Song you had 94 bpm. For Paul’s it was a little faster.

Sorry about your gear.... such a horrible invasion of your life.

Cheers

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:55 am

Eva's version of Kathy's Song was playing at 94 bpm and Paul Simon's at 106. Fun look at metronomes

mweston

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Song Surgeon will get you in the ballpark, too. It showed 90 bpm for Eva's version and 105 for Paul's. Altho it makes you choose between that value and twice that value. At least it's a place to start from.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic