On The Beat - Episode 409 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up March 9th, 2018

tgjameela

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

This week's wrap up has just been released!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -9th-2018/

Today I felt more like noodling with our recent lessons, rather than being the usual fount of
information you have come to expect.

I think there was a bit of the most recent lessons, as well as a couple other forays into some
Jackson Browne tunes. When For Everyman was released in 1973, I was in the habit of learning
just about every song from albums I bought at the time.

To this day I probably still know lyrics to everything that from his first couple albums, along with
those from James Taylor, Jim Croce, and Neil Young. I am really glad one of my students came in
last week wanting to work on Our Lady Of The Well as that is what led to that lesson this week.

The other new stuff was Santana’s classic cover of Black Magic Woman and our first official Elvis
tune, Can’t Help Falling In Love
. I took random stabs at a couple other songs, one of which I don’t
think I identified so put your listening caps on and see what you recall from those days of yore.

unclewalt

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Going from memory here, but "Saturate Before Using" was actually not the album's title. That phrase was just on the water thingie, whatever it was, on the cover. How's that for solid information?

UPDATE: I guess I could have done this before posting, but yes, I was right. The album is eponymous. And here's something I didn't know: "...the initial pressings not only included the text, but the cover carried a burlap-like feel to further the water bag theme."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Browne_(album)

TGNeil

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Hey Walt,

Thanks for the research. I pulled out my copy and it did have the rough cover, although it felt more like cardboard, no lyrics, and no title on the spine other than Jackson Browne. Of course the cover had 'Saturate Before Using' above his name, and 'Los Angeles, California' underneath. It could have been a second pressing if the first included anything on the sleeve, mine is solid black. The album also opened at the top, rather than the right side.
Reminds me of similar confusion of with the first Italian PFM album, Storia Di Un Minuto. The only text on the cover said Entrata, and it was on the back. We all called it that for many years, until we opened the gatefold to find the title, along with lyrics in Italian.

Here is a playlist that includes their first couple albums, some of my all time favorites, in case anybody wants to check them out.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Neil

Great week and weekly news.
Your guitar playing is as amazing as ever.

Dermot

:)

Jackson Browne Website

familyman4

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Great recap Neil!

More Jackson Browne is always a welcome addition!!!!

Bart

davidrfinn99165

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:42 am

Hey Neil.... great version of `Peter Green's Black Magic Woman..... in Em to boot ! Thx

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 pm

I listened to a lot of Jackson Brown when that album came out... cool news!

michelew

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Neil,

Lots of cool playing as others have said. I’m always amazed at how you can play anything you can remember, in any key you happen to pick.

Question, excuse my ignorance, but what were you playing at the end of the news? It sounded very cool.

Michele

TGNeil

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 pm

michelew wrote:
Neil,

Lots of cool playing as others have said. I’m always amazed at how you can play anything you can remember, in any key you happen to pick.

Question, excuse my ignorance, but what were you playing at the end of the news? It sounded very cool.

Michele
Hey Michele,

The last couple minutes were just improvised, starting with a circle of fifths progression then into just some ragtime blues stuff in E. There are definitely songs that use parts of the progressions I did but I can't name a specific one now. I was just letting my fingers wander around.

Neil

michelew

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:35 am

Thanks for the info Neil. Cool noodling then. I like! :)

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic