On The Beat - Episode 413 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up April 6th, 2018

tgjameela

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

This week's wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -6th-2018/

This week took a completely unexpected turn when I was prompted to do a lesson on Pipeline. My first thought was,
“you’ve got to be kidding me”, then I thought again and figured it might be time to revisit it in spite of the fact that I didn’t really
have an arrangement I was happy with. I also was not looking forward to the amount of time it would probably take to play it at a
reasonable level. Today’s update started with a run through of some of the parts, which turned out better that I had anticipated,
and I talked about some of the challenges in the song, along with a few practice technique thoughts.

The result of this was getting completely obsessed with mastering the arrangement, at the expense of getting much else done.
I also crossed a bit of a bridge deciding that I could start the lesson even if I couldn’t play it yet. I figured we all could be working
on it simultaneously. At least it has been fun, productive, and a bit exhausting. The rest of the lesson should be up next week
sometime.

The other new additions to the Target Program this week were a Fly On The Wall video with Sandy working on Landslide, which we
transposed to a key to better suit her voice, and a lesson from Max on Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana.

Aside from playing through some of Pipeline, there was a bit of Sylvia by Focus, and a little improv on Landslide in the
key of G. There were also some closing thoughts on unorthodox fingering techniques, particularly switching fingers holding a
note after playing it. This is something that is not necessary often but can be really useful on rare occasions.

familyman4

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 pm

Great job on a very difficult song Neil. I think that this song will just have to wait until I someday retire and can practice all day for a week. Maybe then????

See you soon!
Bart

dtaylor

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:48 am

Watching Neil make up the Landslide solo on the fly makes you realise how amateurish one's own abilities are; it would take me months to work out what he can do automatically... astonishing and sobering.

thereshopeyet

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:40 am

Hi Neil

Great Weekly News.
Thanks for the additional Pipeline segments throughout, great additions for the lesson.
The back roll is a tricky technique for sure, although you say it's not necessary, it's nice.
I'll keep at it.

Great Pipeline Acoustic Snapshot too.

Sandy's Landslide FOTW was interesting too.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic