Helping Gibson with their poor design choices.

spinland

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:04 pm

In electric guitar circles there are no secrets about how so many classic Gibson designs have more than their fair share of issues staying in tune. From the extreme headstock angle to the widely-spaced tuning machines dragging strings at harsh angles from the nut to the pin...you gotta love the guitar in all other respects to put up with the gremlins.

An enterprising German designer came up with a genius device to mitigate the string angle problem on Les Pauls and 335/339 style guitars (I hear it works on other models as well). Since my current primary guitar is a Memphis 339 I was all in and installed one this week. The results have lived up to all the hype, especially for less than 50 Euro.

vzg14

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:43 pm

I believe here in the States that item is known as the String Butler. There are a number of positive YouTube reviews on it. -Victor

spinland

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:59 am

vzg14 wrote:
I believe here in the States that item is known as the String Butler. There are a number of positive YouTube reviews on it. -Victor
Yeah, I completely neglected sharing the name of the blamed thing; my bad. :blush:

Thanks for having my back! :side:

Thus far I can report it's making quite a difference; my 339 is holding tune quite well now. I still plan to replace the nut with a better one (TUSQ XL) but in the meantime I'm quite happy with this gadget.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic