On The Beat - Episode 427 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 3rd, 2018

tgjameela

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

This week's wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -3rd-2018/

For some reason a TV Theme song popped into my head just as I started the camera today,
which led to some not-too-polished attempts at a couple others. I hope you can remember
or recognize them, answers soon if necessary.

Our recent lessons included The Boomtown Rats’ I Don’t Like Mondays, Chitlins Con Carne
by Kenny Burrell
, a classical exercise from Max on a Paganini piece, and Ode To Billie Joe by
Bobbie Gentry
. The last one is a fascinating study in mystery songs, or songs that don’t paint
the full picture (remember You’re So Vain?). There are quite a few songs that the author claims
there are lots of verses to (Sugar Mountain, Hallelujah for example), and this is one that Bobbie
Gentry may have had eleven to, according to sources. Obviously record companies are not in
the habit of doing Desolation Row very often. In any case, it is a rare case of a song being turned
into a movie due to its intriguing narrative.

Most of the rest of today’s update had info for folks coming to IGC about some of the plans and
guests. I am excited to say that we will have Richard Hoover from The Santa Cruz Guitar Company
there giving a presentation, and Max Rich is now really confirmed to be there for the last couple
days as well. I guess that means we will have a bit of attention focused on electric styles and
techniques.

I also want to remind everybody that we are running a sale on all artist and compilation packages
through next Friday so check them out if you are not a Target member.

Neil

mweston

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Hmmm...I get "This video is unavailable" when I click on it. Posted 2 hrs ago. Still too soon?

Marc

unclewalt

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:53 pm

"Andy Griffith," I recognized (and would love a lesson on that!). Also, Gilligan. Would like to know the others, especially the one you started with.

TGNeil

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:58 pm

unclewalt wrote:
"Andy Griffith," I recognized (and would love a lesson on that!). Also, Gilligan. Would like to know the others, especially the one you started with.
Early Western show. Borrowed from Guy van Duser's Great Western TV Medley.

unclewalt

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Oh, it was this. Took a little effort to find based on the hint.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic