On The Beat - Episode 434 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 5th, 2018

tgjameela

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:54 am

Hi Everyone,

This weeks wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -5th-2018/

Things are slowly settling back into the usual routine around here now, after a somewhat surreal trip to a
distant planet, or at least about as far as one can go from California on this planet. It was great to spend
time in Tasmania with Matt, Jameela, and the rest of the TG team, most of whom I met for the first time.
I did manage to get away a couple times and see and experience some of the beautiful country in and
around Hobart, and a lot of the details are in today’s update.

This week we got a couple new lessons out, The Decembrists’ Rox In The Box, and Herbie Hancock’s
Watermelon Man
. Max made great use of his looper creating that one.

I had a few thoughts on some threads on the Forum, a quick one on nails and a bit more on what the Beatles
might have been like a few years into the 70s.

And then there was some music. As I recall a little blues in the beginning, a stab at a long forgotten tune, Tickle
Me, and somewhere later Quicksand and a Beatles solo version of George Harrison’s first song. That led me to
think it might be about time for some more solo guitar stuff, any requests?

Craig

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi Neil!

At the bottom of your weekly notes you asked for chord solo requests...

I would love a version of The Marmalade's "Reflections of My Life".

I remember many moons ago that you were noodling around with it on a weekly update and I thought, "that would be very cool".

Thanks,

Craig

daryl

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:52 pm

I didn't think "Don't Bother Me" was George's 1st song. Perhaps you meant the 1st song attributed solely to Harrison. Maybe you and Max could do a lesson on his "real" 1st song???? And maybe include Vanessa in the lesson too teaching the bass part! Now that would be cool.

TGNeil

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:53 pm

daryl wrote:
I didn't think "Don't Bother Me" was George's 1st song. Perhaps you meant the 1st song attributed solely to Harrison. Maybe you and Max could do a lesson on his "real" 1st song???? And maybe include Vanessa in the lesson too teaching the bass part! Now that would be cool.
May need a bigger hint Daryl, before I search the archives here.

Neil

daryl

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:46 pm

I'm shocked.

"In the Beginning (Circa 1960)" is the first consolidated American packaging of the 1962 German album by Tony Sheridan and The Beatles (credited as The Beat Brothers), called "My Bonnie". "In the Beginning (Circa 1960)" was released by Polydor Records in 1970 (catalogue number 24-4504.) It was recorded in Hamburg in 1961. This album was originally released as "The Beatles' First" in Germany in 1964 and in the United Kingdom in 1967. Previous American releases of this material in LP form was split in 1964 between MGM Records and Atco Records. Polydor (which eventually absorbed MGM) established its United States branch in 1969 which explains why this package was released much later in The Beatles' history.

TGNeil

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:33 pm

And which Harrison song appeared on those recordings?
My versions of the Tony Sheridan Sessions include-

My Bonnie
The Saints
Take Out Some Insurance
Ain't She Sweet
Nobody's Child
Sweet Georgia Brown
Why (Can't You Love Me Again)
Cry For A Shadow

So I am assuming you are counting Cry For A Shadow which is credited to Harrison/Lennon, and is no more than an adolescent improv over a simple progression, like most surf songs of the day. I can't count that as a viable song. There must be another that I am missing.

Neil

daryl

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:48 pm

You may not count it as a "viable song" but I'm sure it's copyrighted and that the Lennon and Harrison estate's still get royalties from anyone playing it! So the fact that it is on an album and cover bands play it I must argue that it is a viable song and it supersedes "Don't Bother Me" by a couple/three years.

I may be wrong here, but, some argue that "In Spite of All the Danger" was written by McCartney & Harrison in 1958.

TGNeil

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 pm

daryl wrote:
You may not count it as a "viable song" but I'm sure it's copyrighted and that the Lennon and Harrison estate's still get royalties from anyone playing it! So the fact that it is on an album and cover bands play it I must argue that it is a viable song and it supersedes "Don't Bother Me" by a couple/three years.
Good call Daryl, clearly predates it but covers...?, (wiki's stories not withstanding), which are a good measure of a song. And I would generally say that 1 million out of 1 million fans would not list any Beatles' instrumental in their top 100 Beatles songs. They pretty much made their name on songs with lyrics.

Neil

daryl

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:32 am

Agreed, the Beatles instrumentals do lack something. I can only think of two: "Cry For A Shadow" and "Flying". Can you think of any others (and no "Revolution #9" doesn't count as an instrumental ;-) ).

TGNeil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:17 am

There were a couple others, some partially included on the Anthology Series, and some still only on bootlegs-

12-Bar Original (a stab at 'Green Onions')
Catswalk (McCartney instrumental from 1962)
Cayenne (Quarrymen 1960)
Rocker (another 12-Bar improv from the Get Back Sessions in January, 1969), which opened up one of the early mixes of Get Back and led into Save The Last Dance For Me/Don't Let Me Down. The clip below is a good example of the kind of goofing off that was common during those sessions, along with a pretty good run through of Don't Let Me Down.

Maybe I'll break into the basement archives and share a bit of the collection on the News this week.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic