More steps on my musical journey

spinland

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:42 am

I'm thinking this forum is as good a place as any to talk about stuff like this, no?

An interesting (to me) development at last night's open mic: the organizer had to bail for a family emergency and left her main guitarist (who's had me up to comp with him a couple of times) to run the show. The act after mine was a no-show and, as I was tearing down after my 15 minute set, he asked me to stay put and run my set to 30 minutes. I said sure, and filled the time with stuff I hadn't practiced in over a week. A couple of flubs but in general I did fine. I've been working my ass off to add a new song to my repertoire almost weekly so that list is finally growing to the point where I feel I can fill a 30 minute set now with no problems. Progress!

Several people came up to me at the end of the night to say it was a great set, too. I know what I mucked up but it's what they think that counts and that felt good. :side:

Mark

TGNesh

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:35 am

That sounds awesome Mark, good for you!! :cheer:

spinland wrote:
I'm thinking this forum is as good a place as any to talk about stuff like this, no?

An interesting (to me) development at last night's open mic: the organizer had to bail for a family emergency and left her main guitarist (who's had me up to comp with him a couple of times) to run the show. The act after mine was a no-show and, as I was tearing down after my 15 minute set, he asked me to stay put and run my set to 30 minutes. I said sure, and filled the time with stuff I hadn't practiced in over a week. A couple of flubs but in general I did fine. I've been working my ass off to add a new song to my repertoire almost weekly so that list is finally growing to the point where I feel I can fill a 30 minute set now with no problems. Progress!

Several people came up to me at the end of the night to say it was a great set, too. I know what I mucked up but it's what they think that counts and that felt good. :side:

Mark

LisaC

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:44 am

It's inspiring to hear about this, Mark! I hope to have a similar story someday!

Lisa

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Good to hear your progress Mark!

spinland

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:45 am

Guess this can be a kinda pat-myself-on-the-back thread? :dry:

Gotta get used to a different time slot, in addition to the new 30 minute stint. I'm normally the first or second slot of the evening, but next week I've graduated to the next-to-last act. Most likely because a young lady who demonstrated crazy lead chops on a Strat this past week playing with a duo is doing a solo set and landed my usual time; but, normally, the more-seasoned acts tend to get the later nods. I'm choosing to see this as a promotion of sorts. :side:

Mark

TGNesh

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:03 am

:laugh: Awesome! Now go get 'em!! :cheer:

spinland wrote:
Guess this can be a kinda pat-myself-on-the-back thread? :dry:

Gotta get used to a different time slot, in addition to the new 30 minute stint. I'm normally the first or second slot of the evening, but next week I've graduated to the next-to-last act. Most likely because a young lady who demonstrated crazy lead chops on a Strat this past week playing with a duo is doing a solo set and landed my usual time; but, normally, the more-seasoned acts tend to get the later nods. I'm choosing to see this as a promotion of sorts. :side:

Mark

TGMax

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Happy to hear about your improvement Mark! Well done dude!

What gear were you using? (nerdy tech interest here)

spinland

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

TGMax wrote:
Happy to hear about your improvement Mark! Well done dude!

What gear were you using? (nerdy tech interest here)
Thanks, Max! I have such a long way to go but the journey is hella fun.

Gear this time around was the modified Gibson ES-339, Quilter 101 Mini Reverb amp head, and an old Carvin cab I renovated and equipped with a Vintage 30 speaker. Here's a pic of what I took with me:

No pedals, just some gain and a touch of reverb on the amp head, with the mid scooped and the treble boosted a bit. Played the 339 in middle position with the neck pickup in parallel mode and the bridge in series with trebley tone to add a bit of chime. I thought it sounded rather nice. :side:

spinland

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Here's a shot of the amp head and cab as I had it set up at the venue:

daryl

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:52 pm

And when do we get to see the video of your performance? Inquiring minds living vicariously through you want to know.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic