>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 181 - Phoenix Guitar League Meeting with Neil - Part 1

TGNeil

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:03 pm

On November 13, 2018 the Phoenix Guitar League had its first meeting at a Marriott Hotel on the west side of town.
I was asked by Bart Marshel to be the inaugural presenter with a mixed format of performance, instruction, and interaction
with the attendees.

A small group of guitar players convened and a great time was had by all (I hope).

Part 1 starts off with some personal history, going back to my first guitar lesson as a kid and I play snippets of a few pieces,
including, Satin Doll, Bottle Of Wine, Tientos (a piece from my Flamenco past), When I’m 64 and I’m Looking Through You. The
last are samples from the CD A Beatles Collection.

heatndude

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 am

Neil,

Your more than welcome to come present at the Southern Wisconsin Guitar League meeting! I have been part of that for three years now and it's been a blast. We meet once a month, the first hour is always a presenter like yourself that we can listen to and ask all the questions we want. We get some very good musicians rolling thru and hear some great stories. After the first hour its time for us to play, we split up into groups based on skill level and learn from each other or just play songs. I know there chapters stating up all over for the league and your membership allow you to stop in any of them, in my travels for work I have done that and made some friends in different areas of the US.

If anyone out there lives near a Guitar League Chapter stop in and check it out, the first visit is free. I'm sure it wont be your last time there.

Mark

TGNeil

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 am

Hey Mark,

Glad to hear you are involved with the Guitar League in Wisconsin. I would love to come out there sometime and join the group. We varied a bit from the format in Phoenix for a couple reasons. As there was a small number of players for the first meeting I tried to address each of them with some advice rather than split up into groups. In any case, I think most of them had a good time and got something out of it.

Neil

baffled

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi Neil: Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I am so looking
forward to hearing the rest of the parts.

I imagine it must cost a fair chunck of money to bring in artists and
speakers for the league meetings, could you or someone else describe
the actual structure of the leagues meetings and the amounts members
pay to belong to a league chapter?

baffled

TGNeil

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey Baffled,

Thanks for weighing in. The Guitar League dues are $75 a year for the 12 meetings, with the first one free. Seems like a great deal to me if you are near one. I will let Bart or somebody else from GL come up with more info.

Neil

familyman4

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello Baffled and other TG members. I am attaching the article that was in the Acoustic Guitar magazine in August that turned me on to the GL and started my conversations with the founder of GL. This will help explain the program in more detail and remember, you can always go to guitarleague.com to find out more.
Bart

Sorry, I cannot seem to get to the PDF file to attach. Please go to the "guitarleague.com" website. The article is there, plus there are other pieces of information about how the GL is structured and where the Chapters are located across the U.S.

Bart

familyman4

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Hey Mark,

You must know Evan Riley then. I am glad that you are enjoying the Guitar League in Wisconsin.

Bart

heatndude

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:21 am

Bart,

Yes I do know Evan Riley! I have made many new friends from the guitar league meetings. Which chapter are you involved with?

I would highly recommend for anyone whom enjoys guitar join a near by chapter if at all possible, I have not only met lots of great people but also expanded my playing just by being there and learning from others. Its a group of folks with similar interest and a atmosphere of no judgement to play in, builds confidence for guys like me.

Mark

heatndude

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:35 am

Neil,

It would be awesome if you could ever make it to our Guitar League meetings in Wisconsin, wait until it warms up a little :laugh:

I know someday Vanessa would like to get here just to see the International Cross Fit games, there basically in my home town, Madison Wisconsin.

It could be a guitar / workout camp :woohoo: We can play while Vanessa sweats it out

Hopefully your not near any of the fires in California and all is safe?

Mark

auntlynnie

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:57 am

Cool, I'd like to see the rest of your talk/performance/whatever, too!
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic