Acoustic or electric? What's your prerogative?

TGMax

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi everybody! I'm taking a short survey/poll of the members here and I wanted to get a feel for everybody's take on style of playing.

-I know most of the players here are acoustic players, but how many of you also play/have electric?

-How many players have had/played electric at some point in their lives?

-If you play both, do you play different styles/songs on electric and acoustic, or do you play the same material on both, and why?

-What are your favorite brands/models of acoustic and electric guitars?

I'd really appreciate as much info as you could muster. You guys are all great community members and I'd love to strengthen the community through a shared love of all types of guitars. Thank you for participating!

spinland

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:25 pm

I play primarily electric, mainly for the huge palette of tonal options as well as because I'm (very slowly) learning lead blues guitar.

My favorite electric is my Gibson ES-339 (heavily modified) but I also have a home built "partscaster" Strat and a Fender MIM Tele. I currently use a Headrush Gigboard for my amp and effects, but for open mics I usually just plug my 339 direct into the house PA (which is why I modified it to deliver numerous tonal options). I have a couple of traditional amps and also a couple of boxes of miscellaneous effects pedals that I drag out to experiment with when the mood takes me.

My favorite "acoustic" is my Yamaha SLG-200 (the "air guitar" with no actual tone body so has to be played plugged in) but, if totally unplugged, I enjoy my PRS Angelus acoustic.

My current primary music focus is blues (the crunchy delta stuff, not so much SRV Texas style), though for variety I do like adding various "singer songwriter" type material to my portfolio (at open mics I do a lot of tunes by artists like Buffett, Chapin, and The Eagles).

spinland

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:18 pm

FWIW here's a pic of my pride and joy:

TGMax

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:04 pm

spinland wrote:
FWIW here's a pic of my pride and joy:

Great looking gear! I love those Nace amps btw...realy quality tone!

Thanks for responding, I hope others will follow suit so I can get a bit of a consensus.

dtaylor

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:23 pm

I have both acoustics (Martin 000, BSG, and a Yamaha Silent Guitar) and a Les Paul and a Turner model 1. I am drawn to electric, but I can't drag myself away from acoustic as it's a means to playing complete tracks convincingly.

I'd like to work on my electric chops but there are so many acoustic tracks I can't go on without learning...

dtaylor

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:23 pm

I have both acoustics (Martin 000, BSG, and a Yamaha Silent Guitar) and a Les Paul and a Turner model 1. I am drawn to electric, but I can't drag myself away from acoustic as it's a means to playing complete tracks convincingly.

I'd like to work on my electric chops but there are so many acoustic tracks I can't go on without learning...

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Craig

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:13 pm

Max,

I only have an acoustic guitar but I would really be into learning some thoughts and ideas about playing licks between chords to enhance some songs rather than just strum through a chord progression since I normally just play by myself.

Thanks,

Craig

auntlynnie

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi Max,
I've been enjoying your lessons - especially liked Swing Low, nice arrangement.

-How many players have had/played electric at some point in their lives?
I have a Stratorcaster, purchased, about ten years ago during a mid-life crisis.

-If you play both, do you play different styles/songs on electric and acoustic, or do you play the same material on both, and why?
I also have several acoustic guitars. I find that each guitar takes me in an entirely different musical direction.

-What are your favorite brands/models of acoustic and electric guitars?
My go-to acoustic is a Taylor 314CE. I have another acoustic made by a local Luthier, entirely of native Virginia wood. It has a wonderful bass response and I keep it tuned to Dropped D.

Lynn

TGMax

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:45 am

dtaylor wrote:

Wow, that's than interesting response! Would you mind elaborating on why playing acoustic makes it easier to play full songs? I'd be really interested to know your thoughts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic