Acoustic or electric? What's your prerogative?

TGMax

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:46 am

Craig wrote:
Max,

I only have an acoustic guitar but I would really be into learning some thoughts and ideas about playing licks between chords to enhance some songs rather than just strum through a chord progression since I normally just play by myself.

Thanks,

Craig
I like your question Craig, I think I'll address it with a lesson on exactly this subject. I feel its something a lot of players want to get better at.

spinland

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:33 am

TGMax wrote:
I love those Nace amps btw...realy quality tone!
Yeah, I'm fond of mine (except for schlepping it, hence my usually playing the 339 direct into House); so much so I got rid of my other tube amps as extraneous. The brand is going to become rare, alas, as Art Nace is closing up shop. I believe he's just about cleared out his remaining inventory. :(

dtaylor

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:43 am

TGMax wrote:
dtaylor wrote:
I have both acoustics (Martin 000, BSG, and a Yamaha Silent Guitar) and a Les Paul and a Turner model 1. I am drawn to electric, but I can't drag myself away from acoustic as it's a means to playing complete tracks convincingly.

I'd like to work on my electric chops but there are so many acoustic tracks I can't go on without learning...
Wow, that's than interesting response! Would you mind elaborating on why playing acoustic makes it easier to play full songs? I'd be really interested to know your thoughts
What brought me here originally was the chord/melody arrangements of classic songs, and also the Travis-picking standards; I only ever had the ambition to be able to play something from start to finish, and this site got me there.

Consequently I have an ever-expanding list of acoustic interpretations of my favourite tunes that I'd love to learn, while at the same time I'd love to learn to play electric accompaniments and solos/improvisation. What's holding me back is a lack of theory knowledge. With limited time, I always prioritise learning a new tune and haven't got the will to apply myself enough to learn what I think I need to know to be useful on the electric.

In a nutshell, I consider the acoustic to be the instrument of the singer/songwriter, as a tool to support a single voice; and the electric as a 'band 'instrument, only for ensemble playing.

BigBear

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Max- as much as I love playing an electric my heart is with high-quality acoustics. There's something about the sound produced by different tonewoods and bracing.

I have three acoustics (Taylor 816LTD, Taylor 855 12-string and a custom built Larrivee L-10). I had a Les Paul Studio that I recently sold to afford the limited edition Taylor. But the bottom line was, after yearning for a Les Paul my whole life, I really hated the rounded neck (I know they are available with different profiles). If I buy another electric it will likely be a Strat because of their great neck profile or a T-series Taylor.

And I live in an over-55 community and cranking up the amp just isn't an option. I can get all I need from my Crate acoustic amp.

Finally, I'm not convinced that an electric is the best choice for an old folkie like me. I have one of my acoustics near me most of the time and I can just pick it up and play (un-amplified). Not so with an electric. It just seems like more of a nuisance.

Great question Max! Thanks for asking!!

Happy playin'

Bear

neverfoundthetime

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Hey Max

My go to guitar is a BSG D27F which has a deep, rich tone plus nice overtones. Sometimes I am tuned down a half step making it easier to sing many of the songs I like to play. basically I play to accompany myself and others in singing songs from Moody Blues, Beatles, Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot, Dan Fogelberg, Leonard Cohen Al Stewart through to Toadthewetsprocket and George Michael. I have a 30 year old Takamine 12 string and a new Takamine 6 string which I can plug in and play over a Roland C60 amp. I also own a Godin electric guitar sine 3 years which I also can play through the amp. I use a Play Acoustic often with the Tak and I like the effects I can get out of that set up.

There is always an acoustic within arms length of me in the living room so I mostly play acoustic. I am still experimenting with the electric getting to know the sounds I can make and I love the easiness of playing it and hope to record some of the songs I do with some leads and riffs on the e. If I could play more often with others, I use the e-guitar more.

jcrocket

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:00 am

Hi Max -

I’m pretty much exclusively an acoustic player, but I do have a Telecaster and an old Gibson Marauder along with several acoustics. Other than the rare occasion when I fill in with a friend’s band or attend a local open blues jam, the electrics are pretty much always stuck in their cases these days.

My focus is mainly on songs that can be performed solo on the acoustic. I especially like acoustic treatments of “electric” songs. Craig’s question on incorporating licks and fills is spot on - so many times, my biggest question when trying to adapt a song to the acoustic is whether or not there’s enough there musically to make it compelling as a solo, especially if a looper isn’t available.

I too have really been enjoying your contributions to TG, from the jazz standards to classic licks, and especially the theory stuff.

Thanks
Jeff

TGMax

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Wow, so many great responses! Thanks everyone for participating and letting me know your thoughts. This will definitely help me plan some upcoming lessons.

Other than learning how to "fill in" the licks between chords, are there any subjects of theory or playing that you guys are interested in? I'm happy to address any questions you have in regards to applying theory to actual playing or anything of that sort.

dtaylor

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:52 pm

I'd be interested to know if you have a theory on the teaching of scales and modes and their relation to chords.

I run into a brick wall when I'm told as a starting point to learn the major scale in open position, in all keys, naming the notes and numbering them too.
Do you have a particular teaching technique?

willem

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:35 am

What dtaylor said!!

I have 3 acoustic guitars and play them only at homes.

Edit: "The best solos are those that can be sung just like a melody. The solos that I like are those that reflect the melody and change it only subtly. Solos open a new door in a track. There must also be spontaneity. A solo should not be calculated."

- Brian May

TGMax

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:44 pm

dtaylor wrote:
I'd be interested to know if you have a theory on the teaching of scales and modes and their relation to chords.

I run into a brick wall when I'm told as a starting point to learn the major scale in open position, in all keys, naming the notes and numbering them too.
Do you have a particular teaching technique?
I'm going to do a lesson coming up very soon on this exact subject. The relationship between chords and modes...often if you can recognize one, then you can deduce the other.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic