Dabbling in the Dark Side

spinland

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:02 am

Nearly two years ago I scored a used electric bass in a killer deal. Until this week it's been a case queen.

I've started messing around on it, and it's been a blast thus far. From a guitar-playing standpoint, this venture is proving to be a stellar exercise in theory (where are the notes, how quickly to pop from the root to the various other desired intervals in a pleasing pattern, locking in to a dependable rhythm, and so on) and accuracy (even if you know where the notes are, you have to hit them) as well as in finger strength (um, ow?).

Multiple credible sources have indicated to me that branching out into new directions now and then helps keep a path from growing stale, offers some fresh insight, and can generally be a fun way to keep the spice flowing. I'm inclined to agree. I expect this excursion is only going to make my guitar playing better in the long run. :side:

spinland

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:04 am

This is the wee beastie of which I speak:

spinland

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:04 am

daryl

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Nice looking guitar there!

Here ya go......Give it a try......it's a blast. And they don't mind! :-)

Before:

After:

TGNesh

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 am

Looks like a great bass Mark, very nice!! :)

And what a nice blast from the past Daryl, haha, awesome! :cheer: Great and easy songs to add some bass to, indeed, give it a go Mark!

spinland

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:22 am

That's a great idea, guys! I'll make a point of building my chops up to where I can do at least a simple bass line to that recording. Thanks for the inspiration! :side:

Sandy Claws gifted me (via a gift card to the local music shop) a proper amp for my thumper: a Rumble 100.

I've already discovered that various objects in my office/studio will vibrate amusingly in sync with certain notes. Fun! :silly:

Fortunately the amp comes with a headphones output jack because I can already tell my windows of opportunity to be playing this beastie out loud will be limited. :P

spinland

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Kinda funny how these things go from day to day. Yesterday I focused on just plucking quarter notes with alternating fingers and concentrating on doing the requisite "rest strokes" and all that technique stuff; not even fretting notes, just using various open strings to work on the right hand. Very much a mixed bag, kinda frustrating.

Today, after putting it away yesterday and not touching for many hours, I picked it up and tried the same thing, and did much, much better. Even threw in some I-IV-V changes and adding fifths below the root. Far from perfect, but passable if everyone's had a few. :silly:

This mess confounds me sometimes. :S

LisaC

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:18 pm

That is such a great looking bass. I can imagine that it is a great exercise in theory. Maybe you will bring it to camp next year.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Nice instrument Mark! :)

spinland

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks, Chris and Lisa! I'm growing quite fond of it.

Yes, it's a great way to work on theory, especially finding notes. That's a skill that will come very much in handy if (when) I start dabbling in playing solos. It's also just great good fun to bang on and make things around me rattle. :side:

It'd be way cool to bring it to Camp for some jamming, but the logistics of getting it there and back from NY might be daunting. I know that when I brought that electric to the first camp it was quite a chore to travel with the pair. We'll see; I have lots of time yet to consider and plot. :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic