On The Beat - Episode 445 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 4th, 2019!

tgjameela

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Happy New Year TGers!

The Weekly Wrap up has just been released!

I hope everybody had a nice holiday season and the adjustment back to the real world goes as smoothly and gently as possible.
Today’s update started with a little random improv and ended with a little country blues borrowed from the 2nd Hot Tuna album.
In between I mentioned some of last year’s personal highlights, which of course included our International Guitar Camps. I hope
you have taken a look at the video our handy videographer Larry put together.

I talked a bit about picks, and then a bit on ear training, how important I think it is. I brought up how my student Kevin and I
worked on it just yesterday and he figured out what was happening in the Alan Jackson song Little Bitty. Take a look sometime
and see what you hear.

We released a couple new artist packs recently, featuring The Allman Brothers and then Elvis, as well as a new lesson from
Vanessa on Spending My Time by Roxette.

The next big thing coming up at TG Central is visits from some friends, first Muriel Anderson and then hopefully our fearless leader,
Matt Williams. If all goes well we will get some fun videos to share. Muriel is on her annual swing through California leading up to
the NAMM show at the end of the month. I encourage you to check our her schedule and catch her if you can. She will be doing a
guitar workshop hear in Los Gatos next Saturday, January 12. She will also be doing a some shows in the desert then on to Arizona.

Somewhere in the middle I gave a sample of what I was working on over the last couple weeks and would like to hear from anybody
in the TG Community about what you have been working on. I look forward to hearing some of updates.

jcrocket

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:23 am

Hi Neil-

Regarding what we’re working on - in recent days I’ve been working on figuring out and learning a couple of songs I’ve always liked from Chicago’s 7th album - “I’ve Been Searching So Long” and “Wishing You Were Here”. When possible, I try to figure songs out completely by ear, and resist the temptation to follow the least-resistance path of looking for a tab or lesson online.

I pretty much have these two figured out, but an interesting question has come up in “Wishing You Were Here” - in the intro/chorus, you use a D shape but at the 5th fret, keeping the 4th string open D in the bass - then move the D shape down a fret at a time, ending up with a standard D minor (a fun and easy little move). My question is, what chords are being played there prior to the D minor?

Thanks!
Jeff

TGNeil

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:50 pm

jcrocket wrote:
Hi Neil-

Regarding what we’re working on - in recent days I’ve been working on figuring out and learning a couple of songs I’ve always liked from Chicago’s 7th album - “I’ve Been Searching So Long” and “Wishing You Were Here”. When possible, I try to figure songs out completely by ear, and resist the temptation to follow the least-resistance path of looking for a tab or lesson online.

I pretty much have these two figured out, but an interesting question has come up in “Wishing You Were Here” - in the intro/chorus, you use a D shape but at the 5th fret, keeping the 4th string open D in the bass - then move the D shape down a fret at a time, ending up with a standard D minor (a fun and easy little move). My question is, what chords are being played there prior to the D minor?

Thanks!
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Good question with an easier answer than you might be looking for, although I will propose you go deeper. The 'D' shape anywhere is a complete triad so each of the first 3 chords could be considered just that triad with D in the bass (X/D). You might as well go to the trouble to figure out what each of those chords would when the D is added. Shouldn't be too difficult but PM me your thoughts on this so everybody else can ponder it too.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic