On The Beat - Episode 451 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up February 8th, 2019

tgjameela

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/gui ... -8th-2019/

Highs, lows, ups and downs here at TG Central this week. Monday started with a trip to Santa Cruz (just 30 minutes over a rainy mountain)
to pick up my old friend, the Santa Cruz FTC that I got in 1982. It had deteriorated a bit over the years and Richard Hoover offered to put it
back into tip-top shape a few months ago.

The result was spectacular and it is way better than new now, and a joy to play and listen too. Unfortunately, playing right now is a bit painful
due to a wrist problem that Dr. Kao prescribed some nasty medicine for. So not as much playing as I would like, over the week or on today’s
update. However I did have fun last night trying to arrange a solo guitar version of Eye In The Sky which I talk about somewhere along the line.

Other things covered included a little update on IGC Europe and shameless plugs for a couple things you might be able to tap into. If you are
near Phoenix next week be sure to catch Doug Young at the Guitar League meeting. It will be Tuesday Feb. 8 and more info can be found here.

Also, next Friday I will be doing another spot on KKUP radio at 4:00 Pacific time, health willing, and you can listen online here.

Other than that, check out this week’s new lessons. Max brought us Rather Be by Clean Bandit and Ben Harper’s Forever, Doug put together a
lesson on Fretting Hand Exercises (the PC way of saying Left Hand Exercises for those easily rankled or just unruly) and we had Sandy transposing
and exploring solo ideas with Train Leaves Here This Morning, a song The Eagles covered on their first album which was written by founding
member Bernie Leadon along with Gene Clark a couple years earlier.

Hopefully more playing soon and next week…

dtaylor

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Neil, I did enjoy learning Eye in the Sky (it's not as daunting as at first glance), and I'm glad to hear you're revisiting the chord/melody version.

Your original take was lovely and didn't look overwhelmingly difficult, speaking as a layman;
but it looks like the revised version might be a "9"(!)

TGNeil

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:07 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Neil, I did enjoy learning Eye in the Sky (it's not as daunting as at first glance), and I'm glad to hear you're revisiting the chord/melody version.

Your original take was lovely and didn't look overwhelmingly difficult, speaking as a layman;
but it looks like the revised version might be a "9"(!)
Hi Dean,

Glad you got into Eye In The Sky and yes, it is getting more complicated by the minute as I am working on it right now. Just when I think it's in good shape I listen to the original again and then think I can the octave vocal jump, and the background vocals, to go along with the existing bass part, vocal melody, keyboard harmony and even the fills. We may be entering the 11 territory, where Bethena is the only resident right now. I will modify it after I have everything I think I can get into it first and hope to play a version this Friday on the radio spot at 4:00 in the afternoon (midnight for you of course).

Neil

dtaylor

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing its debut, sounds monstrously technical!

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:27 am

Neil Wrote:
Doug put together a lesson on Fretting Hand Exercises (the PC way of saying Left Hand Exercises for those easily rankled or just unruly)
Unruly for sure !!!

Dermot

:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic