On The Beat - Episode 454 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up March 8th, 2019

tgjameela

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/gui ... -8th-2019/

This update had quite a bit of playing in it, and not too much information. I need to brush up on a couple
pieces for a service I am doing tomorrow and ran through quick drafts of what I need in good shape.
These included a couple Beatles tunes that might have gotten a little rusty, In My Life and Here Comes The Sun
(well one was rustier than the other as there was a lot of improv going on at times). I also had to check out a
Pete Huttlinger video where he played On Eagle’s Wings-

Every once in a while the powers that be ask for a ‘religious’ tune and this one fits the bill, although I also use
Jesu, Joy Of Man’s Desiring as a back up.

This weeks’ new lessons included The Joke by Brandi Carlile, John Coltrane’s Bessie’s Blues, Sunday Bloody Sunday,
and a Fly On The Wall with Sandy starting The Longest Time by Billy Joel. A couple of these inspired me to try a solo
off the top of my head with similar mixed results to the Beatles’ tunes. One almost worked and the other needs a lot
of work. We also released a new Bob Dylan pack along with everything else, Volume 2 from Bob.

I mentioned that I am looking for Irish or Celtic requests in honor of St. Patrick’s Day coming soon, I mentioned a
couple that came to my mind but the memory fails me at times nowadays. So if all goes well over the next 7 days
(and I don’t forget to get to it) I will return next Friday to check in.

Neil

dtaylor

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:04 pm

?

TGNeil

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Dean,

You may find this remarkable but I have watched at least 10 versions of this beautiful song (and frankly am not grabbed by Van's vocals but like the accompaniment). Here are a couple I do like-

Likely this will be my next project and I will spare you the rest of the ones that do not grab me.

Neil

dtaylor

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:09 am

I love Loreena McKennitt's version, it's the first time I'd heard it at a slower tempo and it really brings the beauty of the melody out.
I can't wait to see what you turn it into!

abiliog

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:31 am

Hi everybody,
Maybe out of the radar of traditional irish tunes category, but it shouldn't :)
This one always start to move in my head when irish songs come to mind. Do I need a doctor? :)

Abílio

familyman4

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Danny Boy.

Like many songs, it can be as easy or as hard as a person wants to make it. But one thing is for sure, when this song is playing, everyone seems to know what it is.

Bart

michelew

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Neil,

We in the colonies are obviously too naughty and have not done sufficient penance to be forgiven for the sins of our convict past.... we’ll i assume that’s the case as I couldn’t play many of the videos in your list of offerings.

The rollicking version from the Irish Rovers was great. I loved the drive. It called to my own (slightly diluted) Irish blood :)

Fun idea. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Michele

7645slug

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:22 pm

Neil,

May be more of a dietary decision during IGC rather than a serious choice for a St. Pats celebration, but I kind of give a tip o' the hat to "Whiskey Before Breakfast".

--tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic