daryl wrote:
Do the following set for me (and video record it):

Me and Bobby McGee
Lyin' Eyes
Peaceful Easy Feeling
All My Life's a Circle
I Wanna Learn a Love Song
Father and Son

Yeah, I know there are 2 Eagles song and 2 Chapin songs but I don't care.......

Thanks! ;-)
I'll see what I can do, sirrah. Recording my sets (in a manner that doesn't suck) is still a fiddly process for me and, of late, I just haven't had the extra energy to lug and set up the gear. Only a couple more months of my current workload levels then things ease up for me considerably. :side:

spinland

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:25 am

Craig wrote:
Wow! That's a great core list! Good for you. Congrats on that!

Craig
michelew wrote:
Good stuff Mark. You look very comfort.

And WOW! What s list! I’m dead envious. That’s definitely something I need to strive for.

M
Thanks, guys. It does start to feel natural after a few trips up there, and I find I'm preferring it to being stuck in a chair.

On the core list, it's been a slow build-up since I started doing this last May. I started out doing 15 minute sets, just 3-4 songs, and stuck to ones I've been doing as a vocalist already so I had less of a learning curve. I started out trying to add one new song a week but that pace was unsustainable. Now I try for new stuff at a rate of a couple a month.

I can't just pop out and play anything on the list cold; I plan my list for the next set and spend at least an hour or two going over them as a refresher and even then I still usually have the binder in front of me as a prompter. Some of them I can do strictly from memory but not as many as I'd like. I'm also mostly focused on the vocals with open chords on the guitar as accompaniment.

Lots of disclaimers, I know, but I want to be honest and realistic about where I am musically right now. I've come a great long way, but have so, so much yet to learn. I want to start going to open blues jams before too many more months and that requires a skill set and comfort level that will let me jump into a 12-bar in any key, even for songs I don't know, and be able to comp comfortably and, eventually, rip out a short solo or two (my new guitar will easily accommodate both).

It's a work in progress, but a worthy effort. :side:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am

Great going Mark!
That is a very diverse list of songs! The Reach? Nice! How about uploading that for us, its a fave of mine which I also like to play.
Chris

spinland

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:31 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Great going Mark!
That is a very diverse list of songs! The Reach? Nice! How about uploading that for us, its a fave of mine which I also like to play.
Chris
On my to-do list, brother.

I'm maintaining for the next couple of months until the soul-sucking workload I'm under eases and I can spend more quality time with music. This is my favorite Fogelberg tune; I've only performed it once but I intend to work it in more and more as I can. I also have plans for getting my home recording stuff back in place, so I needn't rely on recording open mic sessions.

It's all good. :side:

spinland

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:10 am

Had a minor setback: yesterday while helping prepare dinner I managed to remove part of the tip of one of my fretting fingers with a carving knife. Both ugly and painful.

Needless to say I won't be playing anything for at least several days. Sigh. :S

daryl

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:45 am

And it was probably your index finger. My guitar playing friend did the same thing last week! His was so bad that he figures it will be a couple months before he can play again. :-(

spinland

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm

daryl wrote:
And it was probably your index finger. My guitar playing friend did the same thing last week! His was so bad that he figures it will be a couple months before he can play again. :-(
Surprisingly enough it was the middle.

Just changed the bandages and it's quite the mess, and now the pain is more actively present from being mucked with. Sigh.

I'm hoping that within a couple of weeks or so I can try the U-Bass and see what happens. On bass I use the pads rather than the tips, and the index/ring pair most often, and those soft poly strings are easier on the fingers. We'll see. Right now I'm just grouchy. :S

7645slug

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 pm

spinland wrote:
Surprisingly enough it was the middle.

Just changed the bandages and it's quite the mess, and now the pain is more actively present from being mucked with. Sigh.

I'm hoping that within a couple of weeks or so I can try the U-Bass and see what happens. On bass I use the pads rather than the tips, and the index/ring pair most often, and those soft poly strings are easier on the fingers. We'll see. Right now I'm just grouchy. :S
That does not sound pleasant at all. I hope you recover fast. Until then, it may be the perfect time to work on A Shape bar chords.
--tom g

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic