On The Beat - Episode 460 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up April 19th, 2019

tgjameela

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/gui ... 19th-2019/

This week I revisited a record that made a big impression on me in the late 1970s, Finger Style Guitar Solos by Guy Van Duser.
Guy’s sound and arrangements owe a lot to Chet Atkins and this album introduced a piece for the ages, his Great Western TV
Medley. Throughout this update I played bits and pieces of most of the tunes he included, as well as a few others from the
Great American Songbook that came to my attention in a book called Golden Standards Of The 1900's (I think, can’t seem to
find the book anymore). I hope you enjoy the excursions.

As far as the new stuff at TG, we had a lot of female artists represented this week. Our FOTW entry featured Bebe Rexha's hit
Meant To Be along with In Color by Jamey Johnson
. Max brought us At Last by Etta James and I Say A Little Prayer from Aretha
Franklin
, and Vanessa did a great lesson on The Bangles’ Manis Monday. We also brought out a 5-Pack of lessons on Pearl Jam
songs

But, back to Guy Van Duser, I hope you enjoy the attached file of his medley and see how many you can identify. I may have
given a few away in the video but PM your thoughts over the next week and next Friday we will go over the answers. A hint,
there are 8 themes included.

Neil

baffled

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi Neil: An excellent show as usual.

I find your topic of the week to be very coincidental. I was watching
the night before, a bootleg of a Jerry Reed concert from 2000 in which
the band played Stars and Stripes Forever and were quite proud of
their performence. I thought gee Guy Ban Duser did that back in the
late '70's and did it with only one guitar and his fingers. The next
day you do a show mostly all about Guy Van Duser. A very pleasant
coincidence.

I am reluctant to admit that I remember all of those old tv shows from
the '50's and '60's when they originally showed. Does that make me
old? Guess so. I'm gonna be 67 on the 28th so need to own it I
suppose.

So I'm going to make a guess at all those themes but not in the order
they were played because this is just off the top of my
head. So...Bananza, Gun Smoke, Big Valley? The Broccolies? 'smirk',
Wagon Train, Mavrick, Have Gun will Travel, Sugar Foot, The Bat
Masterson theme and Davie Crocket with a bit of Sailor's Hornpipe
thrown in too. BTW, I don't think he did the Andy Griffin(sp?) theme
on the album.

It is a wonderful album and you did them all in standard tuning. I
believe he was pretty well totally a DADGAD player, unless I miss my
recollection.

So once again thank you for a fine reminiscence and show.

baffled

TGNeil

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Hey Baffled,

Thanks for the response and being involved in the coincidence. Some good guesses but I think you got 5 of the 8, and you're right, Guy did not do Andy Griffith's Theme as part of it. That was on my radar because of stumbling into a video about locations used for the show. Guy's TV medley was done in standard tuning with a capo at the 2nd fret, and I don't think he played much in DADGAD. Remember, he was a Chet Atkins disciple.

Neil

unclewalt

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:14 pm

I remain puzzled as to why the tunes played in these videos are not identified. It's one of those enduring mysteries of the universe, I guess.

TGNeil

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:11 pm

Hey Walt,

I have been trying to be better about naming songs but the TV Medley from Guy Van Duser was kind of designed to be a Name That Tune puzzle. Let me know where in the video I played things unmentioned if you have a little time. I would be happy to label them. Unfortunately, working without a script means I never quite know what might materialize, then I can't remember everything that happened when I write up the notes.

Neil

P.S. ... I guess I could watch the video before writing but not sure I can get in that habit.

unclewalt

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Sorry, just getting back to this now. It's not a huge deal, obviously, but it's a bit frustrating when watching the vids, especially when the title is right on the tip of my tongue. Sometimes (tho not in this case), it's slightly more than frustrating, because it's something I want to actually follow up on. If that were the case here, at least I could have gone to the album to find what I was looking for.

If you said in the vid that it was a Name That Tune, sorry, I missed it. The problem there (yes, I'm still overthinking this!) is that, while that would be fun if people guessed and we eventually got answers, that generally doesn't happen.

Anyway, please name them when you can! I think a lot of us would appreciate it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic