Using med gauge strings on my Ovation Adamas 12 string

redfire454ss

Sat May 11, 2019 2:02 am

Loved and played Ovations for years I have had an old center hole Glen Campbell 12 string that I used med strings on and never an issue Recently acquired an Adamas carbon fiber 12 string full body from a collector The guitar is 25 years old Beautiful sound Beautiful instrument They had light strings and I like more bass punch so I used med strings Played it for about 6 mos and had a bridge failure. Some luthiers online say you are asking for trouble on and acoustic 12 string using a heavier string Ovation luthier said bridge failure is caused by the wood being too dry He said he has stand up basses violins many Ovations 6 and 12 and other brands and have used heavier strings on many and never had an issue because he routinely treats the wood with boiled linseed oil Now Ovation is making me a new hand carved bridge for the Adamas I have a very highly regarded local luthier to do the work Are the med strings going to be a problem? Like I said my old Glenn Campbell Ovation 12 has had med for it's entire life of about 25 years and no issues I will discuss this with the luthier doing the work but any suggestions on maybe reinforcing?

daryl

Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 am

Have you been to this forum: http://www.ovationfanclub.com/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic