On The Beat - Episode 477 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up September 20th, 2019

tgjameela

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/gui ... 20th-2019/

Ken Burns was on my mind at the top of today’s update, well his new documentary
on Country Music specifically. I was not familiar with the term ‘Carter Scratch’ but
had explained the technique hundreds of times, which is basically what we now
think of as the flatpicking technique used in the Bluegrass style where the melody is
played on the lower strings, as opposed to the fingerpicking technique of playing the
melody notes on the higher strings.

This week’s new lessons included Linger by The Cranberries, The River by Bruce
Springsteen
, and The Beatles’ arrangement of Till There Was You. Of course their
recording certainly brought the tune to a much bigger audience than The Music Man,
which was the musical which featured the original by Meredith Wilson.

The main tangent that popped up today was an attempt at arranging Till There Was
You for solo guitar, which I had never really explored much. When you see the holes
I dug trying it on camera you will see what I mean. But who knows? It might be worth
another look if anybody is interested.

I also am still working on lessons on a couple percussive songs that are being problem
children and I touched on those at the end. Since our International Guitar Camp is
coming up really soon these will have to go back on a side burner for a bit.

Till next week… Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

familyman4

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 am

Okay then, a note from your cheerleading section....

"Last Train Home" let's do a group lesson on it at IGC 2019. You could start with the percussion aspect for the group and move up to the melody for the song. Then you would not only be able to observe strategy for teaching the song based on how the group learns the different aspects, but you would have a solid foundation for how you would like to create the lesson for the TG site.

There you go....
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic