On The Beat - Episode 483 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 17th, 2020

tgjameela

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Hi Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/gui ... 17th-2020/

Sorry to have been AWOL last week but there is a brief health update in today’s video (all good news now really).
One thing that I have been able to do recently is revisit some relatively old pieces that were almost forgotten.
I thought I might bookend the News today with them, starting with One Step Beyond and closing with Along The Way.
These were tunes I wrote shortly after releasing El Dorado around 2002, planning to get right back on track with
another album of originals. Somehow I got sidetracked on that plan but continued with new pieces and now probably
have enough for two albums, along with about ten live shows that I have been meaning to make available from concerts
at Villa Montalvo with the likes of John Renbourn, Al Stewart, Keola Beamer and Laurence Juber. Maybe someday…soon…?

And speaking of concerts, our friend Muriel Anderson is on her annual California swing right now, doing shows in the south
this week and coming back up here late next week for a couple that folks in the Bay Area should think about attending.
Check her schedule at murielanderson.com. Hopefully we will have some time to sit down on camera together for you.

If you are on our email list you should have gotten a link to a survey we have put together about the workings at TG, which
are in a transitional state right now that I talk a bit about in the update. If you haven’t seen it there is a post on the Forum with
a link that I hope everybody will take a quick look at.

There were references to a couple other things that might interest a few of you, and a stab at the mysterious song #6 from
Guy Van Duser’s Great Western TV Medley, before signing off with a run through of Along The Way. I hope you enjoy the
long lost pieces.

Neil

Craig

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Hey Neil,

Very happy to hear that your knee is getting better!

Craig

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Very happy to hear the knee is shaping up Neil! Keep on that trajectory!

mcfingers

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:07 pm

OK, not Cheyenne, but with further research I came across this. Rifleman "epilogue"....Maybe?? And I am very happy you are on the mend.

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/vanDuser/western.pdf

This link maybe what Marc found but I thought I would include it anyway. This challenge is a head scratcher for sure.

TGNeil

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:51 pm

Strange for sure. I even watched a couple episodes of The Rifleman, including end credits thinking it may have been there but it wasn't. Might have to track down Guy!

Neil

tkearneyone

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:20 am

Hello!

I believe I have solved the mystery of song #6. I've been wondering about it for about 40 years (seriously!). I've searched the internet many times, and have listened to over 60 (!) western themes trying to find it. This morning, I succeeded!

It's called "Mark's Theme", and was featured as part of some "The Rifleman" episodes. The following video (actually, audio) contains Mark's Theme.

To quote a comment for the video:

"There are only two themes for The Rifleman. First is the regular "Rifleman Theme" which was heard during the opening and ending credits of the show. At about 3:24 starts the "Mark's Theme." The "Mark's Theme" is the familiar one heard throughout and during the show. It was usually associated with tender, sensitive, or moving emotional moments during the episode. So, each of the two themes represents about half of the seven minutes video---Main theme starts, then Mark's theme in the middle, then finishes again with the Main theme."

The correlation between this full-blown rendition and Guy's version is not immediately obvious, but after several listenings, it becomes apparent (IMHO).

Guy's rendition is certainly a "tender, sensitive, or moving emotional moment"...

Now I can sleep peacefully,,,, ha ha!

Let me know if you agree with my conclusion. Be sure to go to 3:24 for Mark's Theme.

Tom Kearney

P.S. - the whole medley is certainly a lot of fun to play!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic