On The Beat - Episode 495 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up April 10th, 2020

tgjameela

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap up has just been released!

Enjoy!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/gui ... 10th-2020/

John Prine was on my mind today, of course. I really enjoyed listening to his first album again this morning,
probably the first time in 30-40 years to go all the way through, top to bottom, and repeat. He sure brought
a lot of joy to the world, along with a lot of reflective topics.

I ran through a couple instrumental stabs of his songs near the beginning. I hope everybody enjoyed Mike
Mullins rendition of Spanish Pipedream
, which led me into a bit of a ‘true confessions’ story about our teenage
years. And I want to thank Paulette and Ron for sharing their version of his tune In Spite Of Ourselves from
IGC 2018.

I also got into a new lesson under construction where I am trying to play the piano accompaniment on the
guitar, at least as much as possible. Like many of these projects, it keeps getting more complicated as I discover
new ways to get the sounds I hear from the piano. I am sure you’ll recognize it and hopefully enjoy it.

Back next week,

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:49 am

Nice one Neil. That accompaniment looks like the most complicated fretboard acrobatics I've seen anyone do! I can see why guitarists don't play like pianists! :laugh:

Be well everyone!

thereshopeyet

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:46 am

Neil

Great weekly news and playing.

You'll need to do an acoustic snapshot too !

Keep an eye :dry: on your cat !!1

Dermot

unclewalt

Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Love that later verse, with the rolls, or whatever those dumpa-dumpa-dums might be called.

You're like Trump: everything's always coming "in two weeks." I'm joking, of course. You actually are doing the things you say you're doing.

I'm really looking forward to all these instrumentals. In the meantime, I have plenty to work on. Hell, last week I probably spent four hours just messing around with diminished chords after our discussion here. They're like magic!

dtaylor

Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:55 pm

unclewalt wrote:

You're like Trump: everything's always coming "in two weeks." I'm joking, of course. You actually are doing the things you say you're doing.
!
"Neil's doing a fantastic jehrb, everyone's saying it, no one's ever done a better jehrb, I will say this, his lessons are the best, THE BEST!!"

unclewalt

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:36 pm

The lessons are tremendous. Tremendous lessons. I had a guitar player come up to me the other day, in tears -- and this was a big, manly guitar player, big, strong guy -- but he was in tears and he said, "Sir, those lessons you directed me toward have changed my life and saved my family." I don't want to say who he was, but he's a very famous guy. Big, tremendous, famous guy. The Washington Post, or as I like to call them the fake news, keeps saying these lessons are no good. That's what they said: "no good." But it's all a hoax, a hoax. What? What virus? Oh, yes. That. Ok, this press briefing is over, the lessons are tremendous, and you are all fake news, and Rosie O'Donnell is not a good-looking woman. Let me tell you about Rosie O'Donnell, she came to me, begging, she said "Sir, I really need....." What? Oh, right. I have to go.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:13 am

That's twice in one day you made me laugh Walt!
That's a good spoof. :laugh:

wiley

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:17 pm

I've written a few songs, my catalog is small, more like tiny. Yet the greatest praise I have ever gotten, and probably ever will get, and one that keeps me going was "Yea, I heard the Prine in that".

Donna and I were fortunate to spend a week last year in PuntaCana, four days and nights of which were full of music. Some on stages within the resorts, the evening and on into the night under a full moon on the beach. And by ''on" I mean the waves licked at stage right. The shows started Monday, noonish and ran through Thursday night..

That first night we sat through the entire first album that Neil referred to, by none other than Mr. Prine and his band. Add in opening shows by others on that stage like Emmylou Harris, Tyler Childers, and the amazing Brandi Carlisle, just hours removed from the CMA awards in Nashville.

We saw Tommy Prine's first ever solo set, sure he'd been on stage many times and with many artist, yet this was his first solo gig.

Todd Snider, Paul Thorn, Lori McKenna, Steve Earle, Gretchen Peters, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, among many others, all performed two or more shows in the resort. We talked and walked side by side with Tod Snider going through customs.

The most amazing part was how open and down to earth all the artist that we 'bumped' into are.

Donna was never a real fan of John Prine, we have seen John twice before in Dallas. Didn't like his voice, didn't really get what he was saying.

Then, on that first night, full moon over our left shoulder, a light breeze blowing, in one song, all that changed. Forever. I think it started on 'Illegal Smile', next big grab was "Hello in There". Then John and Emmylou's duet on "Angel from Montgomery", John has another life time fan.

To say Mr. Prine has an influence on songwriting is an understatement, He influnced a generation or two and more to come. The ability to tell a story using so few chords, so few words, yet each time take the listener on a ride, a trip, an out of body experience, Funny, absorbing, touching, tear jerking and thought provoking often within the same song, even within the same verse and/or chorus.

We have been booked for this years November event. Last year the event was properly named, as it will be this year - "John Prine's All the Best Fest".

I know John will be there, And Donna and I are among many others who are looking forward to seeing him.

Take care out there folks, And wash them hands!

*And quit picking your nose!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic