On The Beat - Episode 503 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up June 5th, 2020

tgjameela

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up has been released.

Hope you enjoy!

https://totallylessons.com/blog/guitar- ... -5th-2020/

A little Scott Joplin to start today’s update. I recently watched The Sting for the first time in maybe 15 years and cannot recommend it enough if you have a some time on your hands, or at least until sports resume on some level. I also heavily recommend the new series Laurel Canyon, the second (last) episode is on EPIX Sunday night.

This week’s new lessons included James Taylor’s arrangement of Jerusalem, which as you know, I have been toying with for a couple months. I have been working on many rather complicated lessons lately and I’m glad to wrap this one up. I even tried a short improv with some thoughts on playing it more like ELP did in 1973 on Brain Salad Surgery, which needs a time signature change, probably a key change, and a little more bombastic approach than is normal on the acoustic guitar. Might be fun though.

We also had a look at a guitar accompaniment of Bridge Over Troubled Water, something that would be good as a backing track for vocals. There is still another version on my to-do list coming along nicely.

New Packs This Week-
We added three Crosby, Stills & Nash packs, each including 5 songs mostly associated with one of the trio. There was a set of Elton John’s which had some of his best acoustic guitar tunes like Daniel, Madman Across The Water and Your Song, as well as an electric pack of Led Zeppelin songs, all taught by Max Rich. Check them out when you can

Coming Lessons & Packs
Next week will see the release of another big requested lesson, James by Pat Metheny. Like Jerusalem, a ton of work, planning, and practicing goes into these types of lessons. I think I started this one about five years ago. And to balance things out a little easier we have the pride of a one-hit-wonder band, The Left Banke, on the schedule with Walk Away Renée. Similar to my plan with Bridge Over Troubled Water, we will start with a strumming version before a detailed solo arrangement in a few weeks.

Another couple electric packs in the queue from Max next week - Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Wonder, along with Billy Joel, Taylor Swift and Brandi Carlile.

And if all goes well, back in your video world next week,

Neil