On The Beat - Episode 507 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 3rd, 2020

tgjameela

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up has been released.

Hope you enjoy!

https://totallyguitars.com/blog/guitar- ... -3rd-2020/

Today I started with a few lessons that people have had questions about lately and I would like some help with suggestions as to what might be added to make the lessons clearer. A couple of them were mini lessons, and even free I think but please take a look and offer some suggestions. The songs were End Of The Line, Heart Of Gold, Octopus’s Garden and Will You Love Me Tomorrow.

We rescheduled our first Free Webinar for Saturday June 11 at noon Pacific time. Watch the Forum for info on how to join us. And be sure to check out the new look to the Forum as well.

The New Stuff:
Lessons on Illegal Smile by John Prine, When Susannah Cries by Espen Lind and Guy Clark’s Magnolia Wind, which encouraged some improvising, along with 3 new Packs - Nirvana Electric (really an 8-pack with 3 acoustic lessons, all of which were done by Max Rich), Nirvana Acoustic with 6 lessons including some by Max, Vanessa, and me, and an advanced Jazz Standards 5-Pack from Max.

I want to thanks folks for uploading videos for review. Everything seems to be running smoothly and keep an eye out for Reviews on Over The Rainbow, Fly Me To The Moon and The Sage, Greg Lake’s instrumental from ELP’s Pictures At An Exhibition album.

Next Week:
Doug Young will rejoin us as a contributing instructor with his DADGAD arrangement of In My Life, Vanessa will bring in a Shania Twain song, and I will continue our John Prine path with Hello In There, which will also lead to a 5-Pack of his songs. We will also continue with Volume 3 of our Jazz Standards theory.

Have a happy and safe holiday weekend,
Neil

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:11 am

Neil

Another interesting week of songs.
I haven't heard Guy Clark before.
Magnolia Wind is a great guitar tune as is Illegal Smile by John Prine.

Thanks for commenting on the End of the Line strum.
I'll work on getting the strum speed up :oops:

Octopus's Garden's a great song.
Under the Sea's like a good place to be :D

Edit
Will You Love Me Tomorrow - Carole King
Watched your play Through Neil
Amazing as Ever !
:o
Last edited by thereshopeyet on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jipp

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:08 pm

With all of your lessons, at least ones I have a reference not just to he line, but to the measure number as well.

With the Entertained It took me forever to figure out that what you referred to as the start of section B, which you say and which appears to start on a new line, at least the way you were playing, it was counts 3 and 4 of the last line of section A, or maybe it was section A1.

Learning the song is hard enough without trying to figure out what actual measure you're playing.

Please.

Thanks

TGNeil

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Sorry for the confusion. Both Section A and B have pick up notes that lead into the first measure of those sections. Sections C and C do not, they start on beat one of the first measure. I hope that helps but let me know if I can shed any more light.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:22 pm

Neil

Carole Kings - Will You Love Me Tomorrow.
I looked over the chords section (interesting) and basic strumming.

I put in a G above the chord in m27 to highlight the quick change.
To some it may confuse if not familiar with the tab.
Where's the harm in calling out the first measure of a line as you play.
Oh no... it's like a fret marker topic !! :D

I also placed a Bridge section header above m22 (FChord).

Edit
Re - Heart of Gold
Attachement File Type Seems An Issue Pdf's are not recognised.
I've sent in a support ticket about it.

I've attached some images of a pdf for Heart of Gold.
Hopefully it's of use to someone.
It's a great tune and lesson.

:D
Attachments
Heart of Gold#1.png
Heart of Gold#1.png (388.84 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Heart of Gold#2.png
Heart of Gold#2.png (425.38 KiB) Viewed 4199 times

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Neil

Octopus's Garden's a great lesson.
I spent time on it ages ago, so it was worth going back to it as my country strum needs some attention ! :oops:

Here's an image of the tab I put together from the lesson..
There's an artical in the Record Newspaper about Ringo Star today :shock:
Also the other day, something about a concert they didn't do years ago in 1976 because of sharks in the sea !!

I'd say they would have been safe though......... Under The Sea In An Octopus's Garden ?
Attachments
Octopus's Garden - Full Image.jpg
Octopus's Garden - Full Image.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4106 times
One Man Band OctoBand.jpg
One Man Band OctoBand.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Last edited by thereshopeyet on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Neil

Re - I looked at Carole King's - Will You Love Me Tomorrow.
Part 4 - Fingerpicking Version - Random picking I need to work on.

paulx7magee47029

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:23 pm

Nice song for beginners but tab would be helpful to
save rewinds to try to catch the base runs. I think I’ve
worked it out but but too much and unnecessary effort required. Just needs updated with closer and slower focus on the detail. If there had been tab I’d have hit it in 20 mins but took me about 2 hours. Sorry if sounds too critical. Neil is superb guitarist and superb historian.

paulx7magee47029

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Octopus’s garden

Many thanks to the kind contributor who provided the tab. In response to Neil’s call for help on my behalf.
I’m one of those less who need the tab. I got most of it but the tab is a real help. When I was much younger I heard it played on guitar on holiday in Portugal and loved it. Thanks again.

familyman4

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:40 pm

In response to this comment: The A - B Looper would solve a lot of these types of frustrations too. Any updates on this possibility from support?

too much and unnecessary effort required. Just needs updated with closer and slower focus on the detail. If there had been tab I’d have hit it in 20 mins but took me about 2 hours.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic