On The Beat - Episode 512 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 7th, 2020

tgjameela

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up has been released.

Hope you enjoy!

https://totallyguitars.com/blog/guitar- ... -7th-2020/

Stevie Wonder has been getting a bit of airplay around TG Central lately, but more on that next week. It just led to a little attempt at one of his signature riffs. We will see where we go with that.

News Break- IGC 2020 is being postponed until April or maybe even September 2020. All registered campers have been informed.

Anybody ever have songs that get rusty from neglect? Somehow Sylvia ran through my head mid-sentence when talking about the IGC postponement. A bit of advice on keeping hundreds of tunes stage ready escaped and I mangled my way through some songs I used to have in good shape. Keep a list and check it often!

New stuff this week included Dun Ringall by Jethro Tull (from the Recommend A Lesson Forum thread), Suspicious Minds by Elvis (which I tried a bit of a solo version of), It Must Have Been Love by Roxette, and another classic from Brian Hyland, Sealed With A Kiss.

We also got to a Student Review for Ysela who did a fabulous job on Strange by Patsy Cline. Please keep those coming.

I am thrilled with the action on the Recommend A Lesson thread and many of the latest suggestions are already under consideration. I even tried a bit of the latest Beatles suggestion, with mixed results. I really should listen to these a bit before heading out those limbs. But all in good fun, I think.

Next week will bring us more from the suggested lessons, another Roxette tune and some material we have only had on DVDs in the past, as well as a guest teacher who will start making occasional lessons for us.

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:39 am

Great Weekly News

Dun Ringill's a great lesson.
I'm convinced you have a magic guitar !! :o

Sealed with a Kiss, I haven't looked at but my barre chords could do with plenty of practice.
I've been working on the earlier strumming version of Here, There and Everywhere. The fingerpicking lesson looks amazing - it's that Hogan magic again.

Do you ever plan to do a lesson on Lemon Twist ?

Dermot

TGNeil

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 am

Thanks for the message Dermot, and glad to hear you're working on Here, There And Everywhere. That should help with barres a bit. The F Minor section of Sealed With A Kiss might be the immersion method.

You asked about Lemon Twist a few years ago so I will take a look at it soon.

Neil

unclewalt

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:14 pm

I think I might be reading the tea leaves right here. I did indeed listen to the McAlpine Steely Dan stuff last week. Really good, though the one song he has tab for, "Reelin' in The Years," is the one I actually like the least (although, it's still pretty good.) But it made me think: "Maybe Neal should hook up with this guy in some way to get some Steely Dan lessons here." I half considered actually suggesting it.

So, that might prove to have been an interesting train of thought. I guess we'll see!

unclewalt

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:30 pm

I just now came upon this. It's just the solo part. It's very much in the tradition of the Kath original, but it's not by any means mere mimicry. Great stuff.

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:56 pm

Neil

I look forward to Lemon Twis[t when you mange to get to it.
It's a great tune.

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Neil Wrote:
Thanks for the message Dermot, and glad to hear you're working on Here, There And Everywhere. That should help with barres a bit. The F Minor section of Sealed With A Kiss might be the immersion method.
Neil

I've been working on the F Minor section as you suggested and it's coming on.
Can you suggest another song to learn that you might consider the next barre chord immersion challenge after the F Minor Section in Sealed With A Kiss ?

Dermot

:D

TGNeil

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Sister Golden Hair (America), Satin Doll (Jazz Standards).

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:09 pm

Neil

Thanks.

Sister Golden Hair - :oops: of course !!

Satin Doll - That's a great lesson - I'll take a look :o

Dermot

:D
Satin Doll Album -  Front Cover.jpg
Satin Doll Album - Front Cover.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic