On The Beat - Episode 515 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 28th, 2020

tgjameela

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up has been released.

Hope you enjoy!

https://totallyguitars.com/blog/guitar- ... 28th-2020/

Greetings from smoky Northern California, although it is starting to get better thanks to cooler temps and a little moisture in the air. Still heavy airplay here of old Neil Young albums, which inspired today’s open improv, and another one later on this week’s new lesson from his first album.

The new lesson this week included the above mentioned tune from Neil Young, Here We Are In The Years, Souvenirs by John Prine, Waiting For That Day by George Michael, and Let’s Get Crazy by Prince. We also rolled out three 5-packs of Neil Young songs, with a few more coming out over the next couple weeks.

I recently mentioned we have been combing through our DVD archives and found a gold mine of theory lessons. The biggest one I have found so far is a set that Max put together called Fretboard Fundamentals. This is a great companion to some of our stalwarts like the Acoustic Genius Series and Lead Secrets: Triads.

Check out the old description here https://www.fretboardfundamentals.com/the-fundamentals-of-guitar-theory/ for a sneak preview.

Next week will bring us another Neil Young Double Dropped D tune that was recently recommended - The Old Laughing Lady. This segment included a bit of wandering improv in that tuning and a few snippets of songs that use. See how many you can spot.

We will also have another George Michael song from Vanessa, Careless Whisper, leading to a 5-pack of his, and the Toto classic Rosanna.

And don’t forget the Upload For Review and Recommend A Lesson features here.

On to September…

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Neil

Thanks for the Neil Young lesson this week Here We Are In The Years
There does not seem to be any Pdf's with the lesson as the Lesson Materials Tab is missing.

I took a look at the Old website store as you suggested
It seems the links to "My Audio" purchases are broken, as are all the DVD links.

I am still interested in your Beatles DVD's you mentioned and your recomendation of in the news of Max's fundamentals DVD.

Satin Doll is a great lesson you put together with Max.
Maybe sometime you can elaborate on the Tritone Shift you mention in the lesson measures 5 and 6.

Dermot

TGNeil

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:30 am

Hi Dermot,

Thanks for the message. Here We Are In The Years is updated with the attachments now. I see the DVD store with this link https://www.totallymusicdvds.com/ but I don't think you can purchase any of them anymore. We have been working on getting some of them streaming, like the Fretboard Fundamentals, but it is a bit involved. Hopefully soon on that.

I don't have any Beatles DVDs, just audio CDs which I am will to send out to anybody covering the shipping cost, but it is a bit of a hassle overseas, requiring a trip to the post office here. And not really sure of the best approach.

As far as the tritone sub goes, the basic idea is replacing a dominant chord (like G7 in the key of C), with a dominant chord 3 steps away (that would be Db7), before returning to the tonic.

Maybe more on the News this week.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi Neil

Thanks for the Tritone explanation and uploading the attachements for Here We Are In The Years :D

No matter about the CD's and DVD's, I suppose in time as you intend to reintroduce your download store.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic