On The Beat - Episode 523 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 23, 2020

TGNeil

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Hey Gang,
The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Visit the Blog and check out the changes.

October 23, 2020

This morning I was caught by a post in the Recommend A Lesson Forum that had a bunch of suggestions for lessons. Most of them were from bands I tend to keep on a side burner, if not a front one. I opened with a short snippet of a Porcupine Tree song, which was not one of the requests but one I have really liked. That led to a short Al Stewart story and thoughts on a few of his songs.

We had a rough week at TG Central with noise all day as the streets are being repaved, which set me back a bit in lesson production but got me working on some behind the scenes projects, like tuning up the blog a bit, starting to recategorize some lessons to make them easier to find (theory ones mostly), and dealing with a real mouse in the basement (Casper he said his name was) – pictures maybe soon.

We have a new feature on at the site that you might consider taking advantage of, a gift card. Check it out in the top menu next to your username and shopping cart icon.

This week’s new releases included:
Andante by Fernando Sor
Caravan by Duke Ellington
Kind And Generous by Natalie Merchant
Fretboard Freedom 2-A The Circle Of Fifths.

Next week we will see the delayed Send In The Clowns solo arrangement, as well the Linda Ronstadt song I played a bit of, It Doesn’t Matter Anymore, something from Tim Hardin, Harder To Breathe by Maroon 5, and another original instrumental (paving dependent possibly).

familyman4

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:13 pm

My guess for the Tim Hardin song that Vanessa is working on for next week was: If I Were A Carpenter. However, I checked the extensive library of songs already on TG and sure enough, it is already a lesson. So, I guess I will just have to wait and see what she has up her sleeve.

Bart

TGNeil

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Hey Bart,

You are probably just a year or two too young to remember The Nice, Keith Emerson's band before ELP. Look them up... oh never mind, check this-

Neil

unclewalt

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:30 pm

I'm very confused. Duke wrote "Caravan" in 1936. What's this about a tense recording session in the early '60s? Am I missing something?

Edit: Ah, I looked it up. Now I see. I'd never heard of that album. Must now check it out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic