On The Beat - Episode 526 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up November 13, 2020

TGNeil

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Pictures At An Exhibition has been on my mind lately, and tickling my fingers as well. Of course, many of us were first exposed to this by Emerson, Lake & Palmer in 1970, which was clearly a starting point for me exploring classical music as barely a teenager.
And now that it is mid-November, it is time to start practicing Holiday tunes. I stumbled through a couple scattered throughout today’s clips and would really like to get some requests for new arrangements. Please add them to the Recommend A Lesson Forum.

Something that came up on the Forum this week was about missing the Busking posts that people used to put up regularly. I hope to see more of these in the near future. Along that line, we did get an upload for Review, which I will get to in a day or two. Check out Mark’s take on Nothing Else Matters when you can.
And speaking of the holidays, check out our friend Doug Young’s new releases. He has a CD and a new book of arrangements at DougYoungGuitar.
And of course, people thinking about gifts for guitar players might consider a TG Gift card. The link is at the top of page next to your username.

This week’s new stuff included:
Need You Now by Lady A
Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz
The conclusion to Fretboard Freedom with Analyzing Chord Progressions
It Doesn’t Matter Anymore by Linda Ronstadt
St. Louis Blues by John Fahey

And since I started this update with butchering a piece under construction it made sense to end in a similar manner. I am working on a couple somewhat complicated instrumentals for next week. One is the long-delayed Sleigh Ride, which I printed up this morning and got back to work on, and the other is the finale to Pictures At An Exhibition, The Great Gate At Kiev. A couple hours of practice over the weekend and they should be good to go.
We also have the Jazz Standard Ain’t Misbehavin’ and The Goo Goo Dolls’ Autumn Leaves, not to be confused with the Standard of course. I played a bit of my arrangement of Ain’t Misbehavin’ and look forward to what Max has to say about the Fats Waller tune.

dtaylor

Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:35 pm

TGNeil

Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Hey Dean,

Is this a Christmas suggestion for a lesson?

Neil

dtaylor

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Sure is, I thought it might fit Max's approach of looper pedal layering of the parts?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic