On The Beat - Episode 610 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up May 21, 2021

TGNeil

Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 pm

May 21, 2021

Well, after a hectic but really enjoyable couple weeks things are getting back to normal here at TG Central. Between a rotating cast of visiting relatives, a quick guitar-related trip to Phoenix, and a huge family wedding, not much music was happening here. That is until early this week when I finally got a grip on how to put together a lesson on one of the most requested pieces in TG history. I had been avoiding starting this monster since day one. In any case, today’s video started with a few clues and ended with a challenging chord change to get started on, particularly if you have had a hankering to tackle a guitar masterpiece.

In between those teasers I played a couple surf tunes (or at least some parts), reminisced about a harrowing evening 42 years ago in San Francisco, talked a bit about Phoenix and the wedding weekend, gave a short review of this week’s new lesson (forgetting about last week’s), and mentioned what is on the list for next week. One of which will resurrect our drip-feed or serial style of lessons, as I see maybe 30-40 parts to it right now.

I also asked if anybody in TG Land has any experience or info on compensated nuts for acoustic guitars. More details on how this came up are in the video.

Recent lessons included This Is The Life by Amy Macdonald and The Pilgrim, Chapter 33 by Kris Kristofferson.

And next week Bob McAlpine is bringing us a solo arrangement of Closer To The Heart, following his recent lesson on the way Alex Lifeson played it with Rush. The other new one should be obvious by the time you get to the end, and especially if you start practicing the the difficult chord change exercise I show.

See you next week,

Neil

thereshopeyet

Sat May 22, 2021 8:01 am

:o

familyman4

Sat May 22, 2021 10:25 am

In this week's news, Neil mentioned the Guitar League (club) meeting in Arizona that he attended and was the presenter for. I would like to publicly Thank him again for making the trip & sharing his talents & knowledge with the group! What a fun time we all had. His knowledge and passion for teaching was on full display.

Thank You Neil for coming out, especially when you had so many other huge priorities in your personal life to take care of! I am glad the wedding went off without a hitch and congrats to Rebecca and all of the the family!

Bart

TGNeil

Sat May 22, 2021 10:32 am

Hey Dermot,

Good call. Obviously this version is quite different from the one on the Yes Album but it was very helpful as far as some of Steve's fingering choices. My lesson on it will be compilation of many different ones that he played over the years. It will include a great 'treatise' on it that Conall Gallagher did on it over 20 years ago. His doc compared 3 audio files and at least 5 video versions in incredible detail.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic